Help with the sense of a sentence

Here, you can discuss all grammar-related topics. If you are not sure in which subforum you should post your question, post it anyway and the moderators will move it to the right place.
honeybee
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: French

Help with the sense of a sentence

Post by honeybee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:48 am

Goede morgen.

I am a beginning Dutch learner, living in Flanders. I recently came across a couple of lines of dialog in one of my textbooks that I cannot figure out. Maybe someone on the forum could weigh in?
If it's any help, they are taken from the textbook Vanzelfsprekend, which is produced by the University of Leuven.

The lines are:

"Je woon hier schitterend."
"Ja, ik woon hier veel en veel beter. En veel liever ook."

How do these lines translate? I've asked a couple of people, but they differed on the meaning of the first line and had never heard of the construction of the second line of dialog.

Thanks for any help!

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Help with the sense of a sentence

Post by Quetzal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:12 pm

honeybee wrote:Goede morgen.

I am a beginning Dutch learner, living in Flanders. I recently came across a couple of lines of dialog in one of my textbooks that I cannot figure out. Maybe someone on the forum could weigh in?
If it's any help, they are taken from the textbook Vanzelfsprekend, which is produced by the University of Leuven.

The lines are:

"Je woont hier schitterend."
"Ja, ik woon hier veel en veel beter. En veel liever ook."

How do these lines translate? I've asked a couple of people, but they differed on the meaning of the first line and had never heard of the construction of the second line of dialog.

Thanks for any help!
"You live in a really nice place here" (literally: "You live splendidly here").
- "Yes, it's a far better place to live. And I like it a lot better, too."

Admittedly, a somewhat odd exchange, the last sentence seems rather redundant, and it's not clear (at least not without context) what makes the new place so much better. It's not very common to say "Ik woon hier beter", and even stranger to make that distinction between "beter" and "liever" - I suppose the first refers to objective differences, while the second is about a subjective preference.

honeybee
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: French

Re: Help with the sense of a sentence

Post by honeybee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks so much for the explanation; I really appreciate it.

The context of the dialog that the lines were taken from is an exercise that was illustrating use of comparisons. One of the speakers was enumerating the difference between her present and last apartment.

Thanks for the additional comment that "Ik woon hier beter" isn't commonly used. I won't be tempted to put that phrase in my SRS rotation!

Thanks again!