the meaning of this

Here, you can discuss all grammar-related topics. If you are not sure in which subforum you should post your question, post it anyway and the moderators will move it to the right place.
luvdutch
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: China
Mother tongue: Mandarin

the meaning of this

Post by luvdutch » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:55 am

" Hoe voorkom je pijn in je rug? Wat dergelijke problemen betreft, ligt de oorzaak dikwijls in een verkeerde houding. Men 'hangt' bij wijze van spreken, in plaats van dat men zit. Dat leidt bijna zeker tot problemen in je rug."

question: the underlined part is something i don't understand. this sentence tells that people have pain in the back because they have a wrong attitude( of going to get it treated). people hang the problem there by the way of speaking and instead of that they sit there. is it what it wants to say? but in English, if one uses ' instead of'. the latter part must be the opposite of the former part. so in English way: instead of hanging the problems there, they 'go' to get it treated. but in this sentence it says 'men zit'?)

Thanks !!

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: the meaning of this

Post by BrutallyFrank » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:38 am

I think you got a few things wrong here ...

You translate 'houding' with attitude. But in this case it needs to be translated as 'posture', because a wrong posture is what causes the back problems.

With 'hangen' they mean that a person is not sitting up straight. In that way the muscles will start to ache and you will get back problems eventually. I guess the correct English term would be 'to slouch'.
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

luvdutch
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: China
Mother tongue: Mandarin

Re: the meaning of this

Post by luvdutch » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:10 am

BrutallyFrank wrote:I think you got a few things wrong here ...

You translate 'houding' with attitude. But in this case it needs to be translated as 'posture', because a wrong posture is what causes the back problems.

With 'hangen' they mean that a person is not sitting up straight. In that way the muscles will start to ache and you will get back problems eventually. I guess the correct English term would be 'to slouch'.
Wow, thank you so much for your help! Now it's like ringing the bell suddenly. It's clear now! :)