I don't see frequent use of the verb 'go'

Here, you can discuss all grammar-related topics. If you are not sure in which subforum you should post your question, post it anyway and the moderators will move it to the right place.
Luminous
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Greek
Second language: English

I don't see frequent use of the verb 'go'

Post by Luminous » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Dear all,

I have found you some days ago from a thread about the use of hij' when referring to a male person and also about an object.

Yesterday I had an email from bol.com which reminded me something that I have noticed since some months ago. I have noticed that many times Dutch people don't use the word 'ga' when they are referring about something that it's going to happen in the future (did you notice the 'going' here?).

So, I had this email from bol:
Je bestelde artikel is meegegeven aan de bezorgdienst.
De bezorger levert het pakket vrijdag bij je af.
I am referring to the second sentence. '
De bezorger levert het pakket vrijdag bij je af
'. It seems like the courier guy delivers the pakket on Friday. It's like something that has already been done... Plus the: 'levert [..] af' in the sentence which resembles with 'afgeleverd'. :|
Wouldn't it be better if the sentence would go like that:
'De bezorger gaat uw pakket op vrijdag bezorgen'. :?:

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: I don't see frequent use of the verb 'go'

Post by ngonyama » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 am

Luminous wrote:Dear all,

I have found you some days ago from a thread about the use of hij' when referring to a male person and also about an object.

Yesterday I had an email from bol.com which reminded me something that I have noticed since some months ago. I have noticed that many times Dutch people don't use the word 'ga' when they are referring about something that it's going to happen in the future (did you notice the 'going' here?).

So, I had this email from bol:
Je bestelde artikel is meegegeven aan de bezorgdienst.
De bezorger levert het pakket vrijdag bij je af.
I am referring to the second sentence. '
De bezorger levert het pakket vrijdag bij je af
'. It seems like the courier guy delivers the pakket on Friday. It's like something that has already been done... Plus the: 'levert [..] af' in the sentence which resembles with 'afgeleverd'. :|
Wouldn't it be better if the sentence would go like that:
'De bezorger gaat uw pakket op vrijdag bezorgen'. :?:
Actually, 'zal' or even 'komt' would be more natural than 'gaat' in this case. (gaat feels a little foreign: French? va venir?) But neither is really required in Dutch. With the addition of "vrijdag" the present tense is actually even more definitive than the future tense: present tenses are a statement of fact. Future tenses have more an aura of expectation, potentiality. The present tense conveys the connotation of certainty: he certainly will.