Meaning of "hem" in song lyrics. It's not "him" :/

Here, you can discuss all grammar-related topics. If you are not sure in which subforum you should post your question, post it anyway and the moderators will move it to the right place.
KPHolland
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Albania
Mother tongue: Albanian
Second language: English
Third language: Spanish

Meaning of "hem" in song lyrics. It's not "him" :/

Post by KPHolland » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi,
So I'm trying to perhaps learn some Dutch vocabulary by reading song lyrics and then looking at their English translations.
One line goes like "Maar vannacht beleef ik hem met jou." The translation reads "But tonight, I experience it with you." I can't figure out what meaning the word "hem" could possibly have. Dictionaries suggest that it means "him," but that doesn't make sense here. Is "ik hem" some sort of a phrase? If so, what does it mean? Thanks!

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: Meaning of "hem" in song lyrics. It's not "him" :/

Post by BrutallyFrank » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 am

I have to admit that this is a strange sentence. But when I checked the whole text ('Het is een nacht' van Guus Meeuwis) it becomes clear.

You should also look at the previous sentence: "Het is een nacht waarvan ik dacht dat ik hem nooit beleven zou. Maar vannacht beleef ik hem met jou" So that would mean that 'hem' refers to the night he never thought he would experience. Also in the second sentence, it still refers to 'een nacht'. As it is a masculine word, it becomes 'hem'. The translation is also correct because there the night is a neutral word and is translates as 'it'.
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)