Vertalling Aljseblieft

[woordvolgorde]
According to many, the word order is one of the hardest parts of the Dutch language. If you are also struggling with subordinate clauses, inversion and the like, this is the place to be.
meertaligheid
Lid
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Spanish

Vertalling Aljseblieft

Post by meertaligheid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 pm

How do you say, "I want to experience it." Bijvoorbeeld: I want to visit a city in NL to experience it?

Ik wil ervan meegemaakt?

Thank you!

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Vertalling Aljseblieft

Post by ngonyama » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:29 am

meertaligheid wrote:How do you say, "I want to experience it." Bijvoorbeeld: I want to visit a city in NL to experience it?

Ik wil ervan meegemaakt?

Thank you!
Ik wil het ervaren. Ik wil het meemaken, if it is an event of sorts, say an adventure, concert etc.
It is not a choice of words that people would normally make. People are more likely to say somthing like: ik wil wel eens een kijkje nemen in een stad in xxx.

Another thing: vertaling has one L which makes the vowel a more open, it is related to the word taal (language). 'Vertalling' looks very strange because there is also a word 'tal' that means something like 'count, number', so vertalling (a word that does not exist) would mean something like 'expressing it in different numbers'. (Binary instead of decimal maybe?)

And alsjeblieft comes from 'als (het) je b(e)lieft' (if it pleases you), which puts the s before the j

meertaligheid
Lid
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Spanish

Post by meertaligheid » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

My two Dutch books talk a lot about closed syllables and open ones in regards to spelling. They do little to explain any of it.

I'd love to learn the spelling rules but have skipped over them because I haven't been able to find any explanation of the open/closed system.

Where can I learn about this?

Joke
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Post by Joke » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Bieneke writes about open and closed vowels and the associated doubling of letters in the chapter about spelling and pronunciation on this website.
Check the subsections about long vowels, short vowels and vowel length.