STOMPI Rule Apply to Dutch Word Order?

[woordvolgorde]
According to many, the word order is one of the hardest parts of the Dutch language. If you are also struggling with subordinate clauses, inversion and the like, this is the place to be.
Polymorphist
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

STOMPI Rule Apply to Dutch Word Order?

Post by Polymorphist » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Hello All,

I have what probably amounts to a very basic question, but I have to ask -

I've begun studying in earnest to learn a bit more about Dutch with some time also spent with Afrikaans. I'm aware that for Afrikaans the word order follows the STOMPI rule - Subject, verb1, Time, Object, Manner, Place, verb2, Infinitive.

Is this also true for Dutch?

If this is true, then the following sentences -

Can someone help me with my Dutch

would become Kan iemand mij helpen met mijn nederlands

And like German, the verb is always second in a sentence? I'm just trying to make sense of this.

Thanks!!

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: STOMPI Rule Apply to Dutch Word Order?

Post by Quetzal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 pm

Huh. Never heard of that rule before...

Your example sentence is correct, and I dare say most sentences will indeed fit your "STOMPI" rule, but the word order is not quite regular enough to make the rule generally applicable. Depending on what you want to stress or on the length of the various parts (if there's e.g. a very long "place" part, that may affect the order of the other parts as well), there will be variations. The verb does indeed generally come second in the sentence (except in questions, commands and maybe a few other cases), but in general Dutch word order is somewhat less rigid than in German, I'd say.

See also our grammar pages for more details on this.