help

[woordvolgorde]
According to many, the word order is one of the hardest parts of the Dutch language. If you are also struggling with subordinate clauses, inversion and the like, this is the place to be.
jen445
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English

help

Post by jen445 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:52 pm

I asked someone that speaks dutch how I would say "I know how to form a question".
I tried first "ik weet hoe een vraag maken" then he replied and said this is how he would say it "ik weet hoe ik een vraag moet vormen" .
So why is another "ik" added, also can someone translate how moet is used? Im confused. dank je

Dolo
Superlid
Country of residence: Poland
Mother tongue: Polish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch

Re: help

Post by Dolo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:18 pm

I think that the translation of your sentence is like "i know how to form a question" whereas your mate's is like "I know how I should form a question". That explains the presence of the second "ik".

jen445
Nieuwkomer

Post by jen445 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Dolo wrote:I think that the translation of your sentence is like "i know how to form a question" whereas your mate's is like "I know how I should form a question". That explains the presence of the second "ik".
I see it now, and I was looking through the translations of moet and one is "should".
I was so confused when he wrote that. thank you again

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:12 am

Like in English it is possible to make a construction like Ik weet hoe een vraag te vormen, but in this case the 'beknopte bijzin' (abridged clause) is pretty awkward because of the adverb hoe. In general such abridged constructions using the augmented infinitive (te+infinitive) are quite common in Dutch.

jen445
Nieuwkomer

Post by jen445 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 pm

ngonyama wrote:Like in English it is possible to make a construction like Ik weet hoe een vraag te vormen, but in this case the 'beknopte bijzin' (abridged clause) is pretty awkward because of the adverb hoe. In general such abridged constructions using the augmented infinitive (te+infinitive) are quite common in Dutch.
Thanks for your reply,Ive read the lessons on "te" but it seems I forgot to use it. Or do I not need to use it?
Also, If I do use it, in the example ""ik weet hoe ik een vraag moet vormen" where would I place "te" before moet or after?
Thank you.

Teodor
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Second language: Serbo-Croatian
Third language: French
Fourth language: English

Post by Teodor » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:13 pm

One doesn't use te+infinitive in constructions with moeten, so it's either "Ik weet hoe ik een vraag moet vormen." or the rather awkward (but - one would guess - perhaps technically correct) "Ik weet hoe een vraag te vormen." :) Some verbs when used as auxilliaries do take te+infinitive (durven, hebben, hoeven, komen), but not moeten.

I think all uses of te+infinitive are explained here. The most relevant section is the one about dat-verbs.

jen445
Nieuwkomer

Post by jen445 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Teodor wrote:One doesn't use te+infinitive in constructions with moeten, so it's either "Ik weet hoe ik een vraag moet vormen." or the rather awkward (but - one would guess - perhaps technically correct) "Ik weet hoe een vraag te vormen." :) Some verbs when used as auxilliaries do take te+infinitive (durven, hebben, hoeven, komen), but not moeten.

I think all uses of te+infinitive are explained here. The most relevant section is the one about dat-verbs.
Just went through it again and It now makes a lot more sense, thanks