The verb that comes last

[woordvolgorde]
According to many, the word order is one of the hardest parts of the Dutch language. If you are also struggling with subordinate clauses, inversion and the like, this is the place to be.
Redeker
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Russian
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: Swedish
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: French, Dutch

The verb that comes last

Post by Redeker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:41 am

Hello! I'm new to the forum. I learn Dutch for 4 and I generally have problems understanding the Dutch word order, namely to understand which verb that comes last. It is very confusing for me, since my Dutch grammar largely relies on the German language (a downside of learning a language with help of another, similar one) For example:

Should it be?:

Maar ik heb het niet realiseren kunnen or maar ik heb het niet kunnen realiseren (To compare: Aber ich habe es nicht realisieren können)

Zou jij mij verstaan, als ik Nederlands zou praten or zou jij mij verstaan, als ik Nederlands praten zou? (To compare: Würdest du mich verstehen, wenn ich Niederländisch sprach?)

Had hij naar Nederlands verhuizen willen or had hij naar Nederlands willen verhuizen? (To compare: Hatte er nach Niederlande auswandern wollen?)

enz. enz...

Thanks in advance!

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: The verb that comes last

Post by Bert » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Hoi!

Stel je vragen maar hier:
http://www.d-n-forum.eu/forum/index.php

Naar mijn bescheiden mening:
Redeker wrote: Maar ik heb het niet realiseren kunnen or maar ik heb het niet kunnen realiseren - beide zijn goed

Zou jij mij verstaan als ik Nederlands zou spreken or zou jij mij verstaan als ik Nederlands spreken zou? - de eerste versie klinkt beter, maar wie weet...

Had hij naar Nederlands verhuizen willen or had hij naar Nederlands willen verhuizen? - hier klinkt mij juist de tweede zin beter

Thanks in advance!
Groetjes

rrcdmey
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Second language: French

Post by rrcdmey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:08 am

Hey,

Ik don't have the grammatical explanation but since Dutch is my mother tongue I can only give you my opinion about what sounds good and what is werid.

Maar ik heb het niet realiseren kunnen or maar ik heb het niet kunnen realiseren. I would prefer the second one. Normally it is always kunnen + infinitief in that order. The first sentence just sounds really weird and would give you away immediately as a non native speaker.

Zou jij mij verstaan als ik Nederlands zou spreken or zou jij mij verstaan als ik Nederlands spreken zou? The first sentence sounds very good, altough I wouldn't be surprised if somebody used the second either, but in a rather baroque way of speaking. I think the first is grammatically correct.

Had hij naar Nederlands verhuizen willen or had hij naar Nederlands willen verhuizen? I agree with Bert that the second sentence is better. You could also say. Wou hij naar Nederland verhuizen?

Basically your best option is to always put auxillary verbs like kunnen, willen, zullen first + the infinitive second.

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:17 pm

rrcdmey wrote:Hey,

Ik don't have the grammatical explanation but since Dutch is my mother tongue I can only give you my opinion about what sounds good and what is werid.

Maar ik heb het niet realiseren kunnen or maar ik heb het niet kunnen realiseren. I would prefer the second one. Normally it is always kunnen + infinitief in that order. The first sentence just sounds really weird and would give you away immediately as a non native speaker.
Helemaal mee eens

Zou jij mij verstaan als ik Nederlands zou spreken or zou jij mij verstaan als ik Nederlands spreken zou? The first sentence sounds very good, altough I wouldn't be surprised if somebody used the second either, but in a rather baroque way of speaking. I think the first is grammatically correct.
Ik denk dat dit varieert van streek tot streek, voor mij is "zou" op het eind natuurlijker

Had hij naar Nederlands verhuizen willen or had hij naar Nederlands willen verhuizen? I agree with Bert that the second sentence is better. You could also say. Wou hij naar Nederland verhuizen?
Helemaal mee eens

Basically your best option is to always put auxillary verbs like kunnen, willen, zullen first + the infinitive second.
I think it depends a little on what form the modal verb is in. If it is an infinitive itself it comes first. If it is finite like 'kan', 'wil' etc. some people do it last, but putting it first is never wrong.