Ik heb een paar vragen

[woordvolgorde]
According to many, the word order is one of the hardest parts of the Dutch language. If you are also struggling with subordinate clauses, inversion and the like, this is the place to be.
universe
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)

Ik heb een paar vragen

Post by universe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Hallo allemaal!

Ik heb een beetje hulp nodig met voorzetsels en een paar andere dingen.

Sometimes, I see sentences with "op, in, over, aan, met, als, etc." before the verb at the end, and sometimes I see them after.

For example:

Ik heb een beeld op mijn profiel geplaatst.
Ik heb een beeld geplaatst op mijn profiel.

of,

Ik zou mezelf omschrijven als een perfectionist.
Ik zou mezelf als een perfectionist omschrijven.

of,

Deze pagina is gebruikt om gebruikers te bedanken die aan de website hebben bijgedragen.
Deze pagina is gebruikt om gebruikers te bedanken die hebben bijgedragen aan de website.

I was wondering if there are any rules here in regards to when it will go after, and when it will come before? Does it work both ways?

Thank you in advance!

Groeten uit Canada :-D

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Ik heb een paar vragen

Post by ngonyama » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:22 am

universe wrote:Hallo allemaal!

Ik heb een beetje hulp nodig met voorzetsels en een paar andere dingen.

Sometimes, I see sentences with "op, in, over, aan, met, als, etc." before the verb at the end, and sometimes I see them after.

For example:

Ik heb een beeld op mijn profiel geplaatst. Rather this, but I pity the poor profile suffering under the weight of the statue
Ik heb een beeld geplaatst op mijn profiel. In this sentence there is a bit more emphasis on the statue. It's a statue you have dumped on your profile

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... 29576).jpg: een beeld plaatsen.

of,

Ik zou mezelf omschrijven als een perfectionist.
Ik zou mezelf als een perfectionist omschrijven.
Either is OK

of,

Deze pagina is gebruikt om gebruikers te bedanken die aan de website hebben bijgedragen.
Deze pagina is gebruikt om gebruikers te bedanken die hebben bijgedragen aan de website.
I'd have a bit of a preference for the first. In the second the website sounds a bit like an afterthought, something you forgot to mention. But not all Dutch speakers might agree. There is quite a bit of flexibility in word order. Within bounds of course.

I was wondering if there are any rules here in regards to when it will go after, and when it will come before? Does it work both ways?

Thank you in advance!

Groeten uit Canada :-D