"OM WAT" equals "WAAROVER"?

[voorzetsels]
Do we buy our train tickets 'in' or 'op' the station? Do we ask 'voor' or 'om' informatie?
rhino514
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: Spanish
Third language: French
Fourth language: Dutch
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: italian

"OM WAT" equals "WAAROVER"?

Post by rhino514 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 am

So the other day I was at the movies and wanted to ask what the film was about. I thought, here is a chance to prove i can use the inversed word order for prepositions in questions. Hence "om wat gaat de film" should turn into "waarom gaat de film"...until I realized that waarom signifies why, of course, so i was at a loss for what to do. what would be the proper way to say this? What does one do when one absolutely needs to use OM and inverse it with the "WAAR" construction?
Can one say "waarover gaat de film"? and if so are "gaat over" and "gaat om" usually interchangeable, for this meaning?

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: "OM WAT" equals "WAAROVER"?

Post by Bert » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Naar mijn bescheiden mening is zowel "Waar gaat de film over?" als "Waarover gaat de film?" juist. :roll:

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm

rhino514 wrote:So the other day I was at the movies and wanted to ask what the film was about. I thought, here is a chance to prove i can use the inversed word order for prepositions in questions. Hence "om wat gaat de film" should turn into "waarom gaat de film"...until I realized that waarom signifies why, of course, so i was at a loss for what to do. what would be the proper way to say this? What does one do when one absolutely needs to use OM and inverse it with the "WAAR" construction?
Can one say "waarover gaat de film"? and if so are "gaat over" and "gaat om" usually interchangeable, for this meaning?
As Bert points out, your mistake is that you should be using "over" from the start - een film gaat over iets.

More generally, though, you can indeed have "waarom" as a relative pronoun in the meaning of "around which", or as an interrogative pronoun in the meaning of "around what?", although as you might expect, people generally try to avoid it because it is indeed a bit confusing. For instance, you could say "de gebeurtenis waarom de film draait", but it's much more common to write "de gebeurtenis waar de film om draait". Or for a question, "Waar draait de film om?" (that's an odd question to ask, doubt you'll ever hear it, but it's just an example).

lion8538
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: China
Mother tongue: Catalan
Second language: Bhutani
Third language: Belarusian
Fourth language: Bislama

Post by lion8538 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Strong desire is the starting point of all achievement.