TOE still giving me problems.

[voorzetsels]
Do we buy our train tickets 'in' or 'op' the station? Do we ask 'voor' or 'om' informatie?
rhino514
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: Spanish
Third language: French
Fourth language: Dutch
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: italian

TOE still giving me problems.

Post by rhino514 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:46 am

I think this stems from the fact that I read alot of -Dutch as my strategy for not forgtting the language. I seem to find TOE more foten in written language than "on the streets".

Is" als je haar je hartpijn had toevertrouwd" the same as "als je aan haar je hartpijn had vertrouwd"? (without inversion, would it be "je vertrouw je hartpijn haar aan? (i am guessing you could not say "aan haar")
Is "hij had geen besef hoe toegewijd hij hem was" the same as "hij had geen besef hoe geijd hij aan hem was"? (without inversion; hij was aan hem gewijd"

The first constructions I have taken from a book, the ones that follow are my own and probably wrong. But I suspect that in everyday language the Dutch don´t use TOE in such cases as much and am trying to find out how they would say it.

any suggestions?

bedankt!

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: TOE still giving me problems.

Post by Quetzal » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:35 pm

rhino514 wrote:I think this stems from the fact that I read alot of -Dutch as my strategy for not forgtting the language. I seem to find TOE more foten in written language than "on the streets".

Is" als je haar je hartpijn had toevertrouwd" the same as "als je aan haar je hartpijn had vertrouwd"? (without inversion, would it be "je vertrouw je hartpijn haar aan? (i am guessing you could not say "aan haar")
Is "hij had geen besef hoe toegewijd hij hem was" the same as "hij had geen besef hoe geijd hij aan hem was"? (without inversion; hij was aan hem gewijd"

The first constructions I have taken from a book, the ones that follow are my own and probably wrong. But I suspect that in everyday language the Dutch don´t use TOE in such cases as much and am trying to find out how they would say it.

any suggestions?

bedankt!
No, in both cases; "toevertrouwen" and "toewijden" are verbs of which the "toe" is an essential part, they mean something else than "vertrouwen" or "wijden". Your alternative suggestions aren't possible (though I don't know why you would write "haar aan" instead of "aan haar"; it definitely should be "aan haar", it's just that the "toe" of the separable verb should follow after that as well, "je vertrouwt je hartpijn aan haar toe").

It's true that in spoken language people might perhaps phrase things differently, but you can't just drop the "toe" and think that then you get the spoken language equivalent, that would be too easy...

Also, while "toewijden" and "toevertrouwen" aren't very common in spoken language, "hartpijn" is even less so, just fyi. ;)

rhino514
Superlid

Post by rhino514 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm

´Hi! Sorry, I was travelling for a couple of days, couldn´t relpy eerlier.
I understand about toevertrouwen...one is "to trust" while the other seems to be "to entrust"
But I lloked up "toewijden" and "wijden aan" and according to the dictionary they both mean "to dedicateoneself to sthing or devote oneself. So i don´t see the difference there.....:(

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 pm

rhino514 wrote:´Hi! Sorry, I was travelling for a couple of days, couldn´t relpy eerlier.
I understand about toevertrouwen...one is "to trust" while the other seems to be "to entrust"
But I lloked up "toewijden" and "wijden aan" and according to the dictionary they both mean "to dedicateoneself to sthing or devote oneself. So i don´t see the difference there.....:(
There is still a difference in how the two are used.

"Wijden aan" is used first of all in the strictly religious meaning, e.g. a church which is "gewijd aan" Saint Peter or whoever, and a host can be "gewijd" as well. It's also used for various less literal contexts such as "devoting a chapter to a certain subject", which is literally the same in Dutch, "een hoofdstuk wijden aan een bepaald onderwerp".

In the non-religious sense of being devoted to a person or a cause, though, you use "toegewijd". It's almost exclusively used as an adjective though, the corresponding verb is hardly if ever used. For things like e.g. "he devoted himself to the study of...", you're more likely to see some other verb, generally "zich toeleggen op", i.e. "hij legde zich toe op de studie van...".

And then as for dedicating a book, song etc. to someone, that's still another verb, "opdragen aan": e.g. "ik draag dit boek op aan mijn vrouw".

Needless to say, this is highly advanced stuff, but you did ask. ;)

rhino514
Superlid

Post by rhino514 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Dankje wel, het zou me onmogelijk geweest zijn om dat zelf op te lossen.....(juist?)