HET ZIJN / ER ZIJN / ZE ZIJN?

[zelfstandig naamwoorden en lidwoorden]
Here you can ask anything about Dutch articles ('de', 'het', 'een'), how to make plural nouns, how to make nouns small (diminutives), compound nouns, and everything else related to nouns and articles.
rhino514
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: Spanish
Third language: French
Fourth language: Dutch
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: italian

HET ZIJN / ER ZIJN / ZE ZIJN?

Post by rhino514 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:10 am

Am I correct in saying that the first means "they are" while the second case means "there are"?
I have also read that ZE ZIJN is strictly for persons, but I believe I have seen it used as a replacement for one of the above in some cases...Perhaps in Belgium or southern Netherlands?

Also, I believe "dat zijn" would be "those are", but can we also say "die zijn" to signify the same? (or is "die" is only used when we must place specific emphasis i.e. "die wil ik, niet deze".

bedankt!

rhino

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: HET ZIJN / ER ZIJN / ZE ZIJN?

Post by ngonyama » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:10 pm

rhino514 wrote:Am I correct in saying that the first means "they are" while the second case means "there are"? yes
I have also read that ZE ZIJN is strictly for persons,no, "ze" is very general. The full form "zij" is a different matter, that is a little more just for persons but I believe I have seen it used as a replacement for one of the above in some cases...Perhaps in Belgium or southern Netherlands?

Also, I believe "dat zijn" would be "those are", but can we also say "die zijn" to signify the same? (or is "die" is only used when we must place specific emphasis i.e. "die wil ik, niet deze".
Dat zijn paarden, niet zebra's.
Kijk, zebra's! Die zijn vast ontsnapt uit de dierentuin

One indicates an indentity. (Dat=That which you are seeing) The other refers back to something mentioned earlier (Die=Those mentioned before, although that may have been omitted occasionally.)

bedankt!

rhino