Plural Question

[zelfstandig naamwoorden en lidwoorden]
Here you can ask anything about Dutch articles ('de', 'het', 'een'), how to make plural nouns, how to make nouns small (diminutives), compound nouns, and everything else related to nouns and articles.
iRemlap
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Japanese
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: American Sign language

Plural Question

Post by iRemlap » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm doing rosettastone now, and i have a question about pluralization. They show a picture of a boy with a bike and say
"Hij heeft een fiets." He has a bike
then they show a picture of several women with several bikes and it says:
"Zij hebben een fiets" They have a bike. Is that actutally correct, meaning that they individually have a bike?
Couldn't it also mean 'They (Plural) have a (singular) bike'?
Wouldn't it be more correct (and useful) to say 'Zij hebben fietsen'? They have bikes?

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Plural Question

Post by Quetzal » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:16 pm

iRemlap wrote:I'm doing rosettastone now, and i have a question about pluralization. They show a picture of a boy with a bike and say
"Hij heeft een fiets." He has a bike
then they show a picture of several women with several bikes and it says:
"Zij hebben een fiets" They have a bike. Is that actutally correct, meaning that they individually have a bike?
Couldn't it also mean 'They (Plural) have a (singular) bike'?
Wouldn't it be more correct (and useful) to say 'Zij hebben fietsen'? They have bikes?
Well, "Zij hebben een fiets" is not wrong, but it depends on the context. In some contexts it could indeed be ambiguous, forcing you to clarify by e.g. adding the word "elk" (each): "Zij hebben elk een fiets".