The adjective 'zakelijk'

[bijwoorden en bijvoeglijk naamwoorden]
An adjective says something about a noun or person: E.g. "the beautiful story" or "She is happy".
An adverb says something about a verb, an adjective, another adverb, a phrase, or a clause: "You did that well", "That is really nice."
gustaaf kusno
Lid
Country of residence: Indonesia
Mother tongue: Indonesian
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch (Netherlands)

The adjective 'zakelijk'

Post by gustaaf kusno » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 am

I'm curious about the adjective 'zakelijk'. Does 'zakelijk' have a positive, a negative or just a neutral connotation in Dutch discourse?
Is this adjective 'zakelijk' often used in daily conversation? And can somebody give me several examples of sentences using the word 'zakelijk'. Dankje wel.

andreengels
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German

Re: The adjective 'zakelijk'

Post by andreengels » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 am

It depends on the context. If I say my mother is 'zakelijk' to me, that would be negative. It means that she shows little or no emotions or empathy. On the other hand, I would expect my bank to act 'zakelijk', to do differently would be unprofessional, so in that case it would either be neutral or positive. Apart from that, 'zakelijk' can not just mean 'in a businesslike manner' but also 'business related', and in that case is almost always neutral.

The meaning "in a businesslike manner" appears in such constructions as "een zakelijk antwoord", "in een zakelijke stijl schrijven", "zakelijk reageren". The meaning "business related" can be found for example in "zakelijke contacten" (business contacts) and "zakelijke rekening" (business account).

gustaaf kusno
Lid
Country of residence: Indonesia
Mother tongue: Indonesian
Third language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Re: The adjective 'zakelijk'

Post by gustaaf kusno » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks a lot, Andre Engels for the answer. It really gives me a comprehensive understanding of the word 'zakelijk'.
Vriendelijke groeten.