vandaag klaar/mogelijk vandaag

[bijwoorden en bijvoeglijk naamwoorden]
An adjective says something about a noun or person: E.g. "the beautiful story" or "She is happy".
An adverb says something about a verb, an adjective, another adverb, a phrase, or a clause: "You did that well", "That is really nice."
lizardo
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English

vandaag klaar/mogelijk vandaag

Post by lizardo » Thu May 14, 2015 11:52 am

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and I’m very much a beginner when it comes to learning Dutch.

I just wanted to ask if there is a reason that “It is ready today” (het is vandaag klaar) and “it is possible today” (het is mogelijk vandaag) do not have the same form? Ie the placement of vandaag is different in the sentence.

Logically I would think that if “het is vandaag klaar” is correct then it follows that “het is vandaag mogelijk” would also be correct, but I’m told that this is not the case.

I’d be ever so grateful if anybody has an answer for this or could clarify that it is “just the way it is”… when I can’t figure out the reason/rule it tends to bug me all day 

Thanks a lot :)

Teodor
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Second language: Serbo-Croatian
Third language: French
Fourth language: English

Re: vandaag klaar/mogelijk vandaag

Post by Teodor » Thu May 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Hello Lizardo,

I'm not sure who told you that "Het is vandaag mogelijk." isn't possible and on what basis, because it feels like a very ordinary construction to me. On the contrary, "Het is mogelijk vandaag." seems very odd, unless you really really really want to stress 'mogelijk', and even then it sounds quite strange. I'm writing this purely based on my 'linguistic gut feeling'.

In sentences like yours, the usual word order is subject - verb - time - complement (mogelijk). Dutch word order, however, is rather complicated (that's why I find it ridiculous when we think that case systems make languages more difficult...). Bieneke has written a very good outline at http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=WordOrder.00