Independent possessives in action

[voornaamwoorden]
A pronoun replaces a noun or another pronoun. E.g. 'he', 'which', or 'her'. There are different types of pronouns: personal, possessive, indefinite, relative... You can post your questions about Dutch pronouns here.
anu.siva
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Tamil
Second language: English
Third language: Hindi

Independent possessives in action

Post by anu.siva » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi,
I am in my early stages of learning Dutch... I combine 2 or 3 materials and try to go one topic after another. Here is my doubt. I was going through Independent possessives in action in your website and it has a list of example sentences is using "het mijne" "de mijne"...
het boek the book dat is het mijne that is mine
de oren the ears dat zijn de jouwe* those are yours

In the second one, shouldnt that be "die zijn de jouwe" ? I am a terribly confused person when it comes to dat and die.... could someone please clarify?

thanks and regards
Anu

Joke
Retired moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Re: Independent possessives in action

Post by Joke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:16 pm

Hoi Anu,
Try this grammar page and this one.
I think that will clarify some things for you.
Joke

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

anu.siva wrote:Hi,
I am in my early stages of learning Dutch... I combine 2 or 3 materials and try to go one topic after another. Here is my doubt. I was going through Independent possessives in action in your website and it has a list of example sentences is using "het mijne" "de mijne"...
het boek the book dat is het mijne that is mine
de oren the ears dat zijn de jouwe* those are yours

In the second one, shouldnt that be "die zijn de jouwe" ? I am a terribly confused person when it comes to dat and die.... could someone please clarify?

thanks and regards
Anu
I can see why you'd think that, you might say it would be more logical... but no. This is very hard to explain, I've already erased two explanations and started over. It has nothing to do with the independent possessives, though, it would be just the same if you had a noun instead of a possessive. It's probably best to start with the most simple sentence of this kind, using no possessives or indicative pronouns:

"Het zijn oren."

You may wonder why the singular neutral article is used even though the noun (and hence the verb) is plural. The answer is that "het" isn't really an article here so much as an undefined pronoun. And sentences like yours just build on that basic sentence, using "dat" instead of "die" because that's how it is, "dat" corresponds to "het" as "die" corresponds to "de".

This is probably not very helpful, but that's the best I can do at the moment. :P I see Joke replied in the meantime with links to our grammar course, that should be rather more helpful...

anu.siva
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Tamil
Third language: Hindi

Post by anu.siva » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Thank you Joke and Quetzal. That was helpful!! You guys are really doing a great job by having this forum so active. It is helping me a lot!! Thank you once again!!