Van mij of mijn of de mijne, enz

[voornaamwoorden]
A pronoun replaces a noun or another pronoun. E.g. 'he', 'which', or 'her'. There are different types of pronouns: personal, possessive, indefinite, relative... You can post your questions about Dutch pronouns here.
brynne528
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Van mij of mijn of de mijne, enz

Post by brynne528 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I can't figure out the differences between them. I think maybe "van mij" would be used cases like this: "that's mine, not yours," but I'm not sure. And I have no idea about the rest (mijn, de mijne, het mijne).
And what about van jou, het jouwe, and de jouwe? O.o
Thank you! :)

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Van mij of mijn of de mijne, enz

Post by Quetzal » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 pm

brynne528 wrote:I can't figure out the differences between them. I think maybe "van mij" would be used cases like this: "that's mine, not yours," but I'm not sure. And I have no idea about the rest (mijn, de mijne, het mijne).
"Mijn" is used only in combination with a noun (or a proper name, I guess), like in "mijn huis", "mijn auto", "mijn zus", and so on. "De mijne" or "het mijne", on the other hand, is always independent, referring back to a previously specified noun: "Jouw huis is groot, maar het mijne is nog groter" ("het mijne" rather than "de mijne" simply because "huis" is a word that requires "het" and not "de").

And indeed, "van mij" can be used in cases like what you say, "Dat is van mij". It can also be used as a translation of "of mine" in e.g. "a friend of mine says..." = "een vriend(in) van mij zegt...".

Hope that helps. :) Oh, and welcome! Or congratulations on your first ever post, at least.

brynne528
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Re: Van mij of mijn of de mijne, enz

Post by brynne528 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Quetzal wrote:
brynne528 wrote:I can't figure out the differences between them. I think maybe "van mij" would be used cases like this: "that's mine, not yours," but I'm not sure. And I have no idea about the rest (mijn, de mijne, het mijne).
"Mijn" is used only in combination with a noun (or a proper name, I guess), like in "mijn huis", "mijn auto", "mijn zus", and so on. "De mijne" or "het mijne", on the other hand, is always independent, referring back to a previously specified noun: "Jouw huis is groot, maar het mijne is nog groter" ("het mijne" rather than "de mijne" simply because "huis" is a word that requires "het" and not "de").

And indeed, "van mij" can be used in cases like what you say, "Dat is van mij". It can also be used as a translation of "of mine" in e.g. "a friend of mine says..." = "een vriend(in) van mij zegt...".

Hope that helps. :) Oh, and welcome! Or congratulations on your first ever post, at least.
Dankjewel voor je hulp! :) And thanks. I've been using this site and the forums for a while now. I have no idea how I would learn Dutch without them.