Audio for Dutch Declaration of Solidarity?

If you have any plans to move to Holland or if you have already settled there, this is the place to discuss the Inburgeringsexamen ('integration' exam for immigrants), NT2 (Dutch as a second language), and studying at Flemish or Dutch schools and universities.
Carolina11
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Australia
Mother tongue: English (Australia)

Audio for Dutch Declaration of Solidarity?

Post by Carolina11 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello, Can someone please let me know if I can find a recorded audio for Dutch Declaration of Solidarity please? I have used the Acapela website but it is a bit fast for me when I am only learning. I am trying to regain my Dutch citizenship and need to be able to say it in Dutch.
Thank you,
Caroline

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Re: Audio for Dutch Declaration of Solidarity?

Post by Bieneke » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:59 am

I cannot do it at the moment, but if there is someone who is willing to record it for you, here is the text of the "Verklaring van Verbondenheid":

"Ik verklaar dat ik de grondwettelijke orde van het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden, haar vrijheden en rechten respecteer en beloof de plichten die het staatsburgerschap met zich meebrengt getrouw te vervullen. Dat verklaar en beloof ik."
Bieneke

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Post by ngonyama » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 am

OK, I uploaded this http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... darity.ogg. Hopefully this will do the trick

What a horrible statement: haar?! vrijheden? Koninkrijk is not a feminine word at all; it should read: zijn! Or is it supposed to refer back to "orde"? Then the syntax is pretty obtuse...

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

ngonyama wrote:OK, I uploaded this http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... darity.ogg. Hopefully this will do the trick

What a horrible statement: haar?! vrijheden? Koninkrijk is not a feminine word at all; it should read: zijn! Or is it supposed to refer back to "orde"? Then the syntax is pretty obtuse...
Wanneer je haar zegt, denk aan het woord monarchie. Misschien kan dat je verontwaardiging verminderen. :)

andreengels
Superlid
Third language: German

Post by andreengels » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:46 am

ngonyama wrote:OK, I uploaded this http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... darity.ogg. Hopefully this will do the trick

No, it does refer to "het Koninkrijk". I think it's a case of, as I learned in my Latin lessons, "natural gender before grammatical gender". It seems that countries are considered female, so it's "het land en haar wetten" just like it's "het meisje en haar poppen" and "het schip en haar bemanning".

snowball
Superlid

Post by snowball » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 am

andreengels wrote:

No, it does refer to "het Koninkrijk". I think it's a case of, as I learned in my Latin lessons, "natural gender before grammatical gender". It seems that countries are considered female, so it's "het land en haar wetten" just like it's "het meisje en haar poppen" and "het schip en haar bemanning".
This doesn't make any sense. 'Her' clearly refers to 'de grondwettelijke orde van het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden' and not 'het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden'.
Firstly because it's clearly so grammatically.
Even though the meaning of the sentence may not be clear at first sight to some, there's no need to use an obscure exception rule to explain a sentence that makes perfect sense as it is.
But secondly, and probably more convincing, if you just look at what it means, it is clear 'her' refers to 'de grondwettelijke orde' (constitutional order).
It makes a lot more sense to pledge to respect duties and rights that come from a constitution than rights and duties that come from a kingdom.
Constitutions are well known for containing rules about rights and duties, as you will probably agree, whereas kingdoms rarely do.

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Dear Snowball,

The problem is that it is actually the grondwet which defines and contains basic rights and duties, and not the grondwettelijke orde. Yet, all things considered, I can accept your explanation.