Confused on what I should do.

If you have any plans to move to Holland or if you have already settled there, this is the place to discuss the Inburgeringsexamen ('integration' exam for immigrants), NT2 (Dutch as a second language), and studying at Flemish or Dutch schools and universities.
mevrouw.neevel
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Confused on what I should do.

Post by mevrouw.neevel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Hoi allemaal,

Mijn naam is Ashlie en ik ben een Amerikaanse staatsburger. Ik woon in Nederland met mijn Nederlandse man al drie jaar. Ik begun in 2011 met staatsexamen les maar in 2012 had ik terug naar de VS gegaan omdat mijn zus kanker gehad. Daarna heb ik met school gestopt. Nu ben ik terug in Nederland en ik heb opnieuw met school begunnen maar ik heb mijn traject naar imburgering verandert. Ik dacht dat imburgering makelijker is maar nu ben ik niet zeker als het de juiste keus was. Ik versta de verschil tussen een niveau A2 en B1 maar ik alleen een beperkte tijd heb voor de overheid voor me niet meer mijn cursus betalen. Ik weet dat mijn nederlands is niet zo goed en die is de reden ik heb mijn cursus verandert. Zal ik mijn traject terug naar staatsexamen veranderen of zal ik in imburgering blijven? Ik heb minder dan acht maanden voor de overheid niet meer mijn cursus betalt. Ik ben zo doodsbang mijn examen om niet te geslaagd als ik op een staatsexamen traject gaan. Ik maak zorg ook over de luisteren en zinnen herhalen omdat mijn horen niet zo goed is. Ik heb geen "hearing aid" maar ik beperkte horen heb. Wat denken jullie? Ik heb TGN oefenen gedaan en ik kan alleen een of twee van tien zinnen verstaan. Ik vind de woorden onduidelijk en de praten te snel gaat. Het is belangrijk dat ik de nederlandse taal leren zodat ik een "productive member of society" kun worden. Het is verplicht dat ik de nederlandse taal weten zodat ik een nederlanse staatsburger kun worden. Wat is jouw mening?

sgvrouw
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Malay

Re: Confused on what I should do.

Post by sgvrouw » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi, i was wondering what you had decided to do.

mevrouw.neevel
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Re: Confused on what I should do.

Post by mevrouw.neevel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 pm

I stayed in the imburgering class. I'm finished with school now. I take my exams on the 5th of January. In my class at Capabel Taal which is located at Plein 40-45 in Amsterdam the imburgering class was mixed with the staatsexamen class and really there was no difference between the instruction that was given. We both had the same books and did the same work for the most part so in the end the only real difference is which test you take for the government. With imburgering you are only required to attain an A2 level and with Staatsexamen it is B1 (the next level up from A2) I personally wouldn't tell anyone to bother with taking the Staatsexamen course unless you are in a situation that requires you to prove you speak dutch at a B1 level as is the case for university here i believe. The instruction, in my experience is identical, the only difference is the level that is required of you to have at the end. I am confident I will pass my imburgering test the first try and I will get a piece of paper that says I understand, speak, and write dutch at an A2 level but in reality I can do all those things at at least a B1 level. (my writing and especially my reading is more like B2, but when I have to speak in an active conversation I get mixed up because conversations move quickly, but when provided time to think such as when you write or read I do really well) The imburgering test is now different as of November 1st. The speaking portion of the test has been changed for the better and that was the portion that gave many people trouble. Also if you are being required by the government to go to school, as was my cause for immigration purposes, an A2 level is all that is required of you. I see no reason to intentionally sign up to take a more difficult test if you don't absolutely have to. With imburgering you are required to test on your knowledge over Dutch society (KNS or Kennis van Nederlandse Samenleving) which is something you don't do with Staatsexamen. There is a book you can borrow from the library or buy that is specifically about this and it is called Welkom in Nederland by Marilene Gathier It has a red cover. Everything you need to know that will be on the test is in that book. Other schools might teach their classes differently or perhaps even better but I am satisfied with Capabel Taal. It was a much better school than NL Training in Amsterdam Noord which I would warn people to stay clear of. My teacher at Capabel Taal is named Linda and she is absolutely amazing. She is a wonderful teacher who genuinely cares about her students and it shows. She really put a lot of effort into helping you succeed. if you are just about to start going to school i would highly recommend you consider that school and specifically that teacher. I really felt like I was learning from Day 1 in her class. In NL Training (formerly Prins en Heide School) They handed you a book and you were on your own from there. The teacher sat in the class playing on his phone and was more of a babysitter than anything. They kicked me out of that school for saying just that to them and is the reason why I started at Capabel Taal. Anyways I guess I've told you more than you want to know by know LOL. Have a nice day!