Dutch Language Courses in The Hague

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
tournesol
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)

Dutch Language Courses in The Hague

Post by tournesol » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:55 am

Hello everyone,

I'm moving to the Hague in the fall, and am trying to find a really good Dutch course. Unfortunately, a lot of the Dutch language course websites linked from The Hague website are all in Dutch! The two that looked the best to me (judging from what websites I could actually read), look to be either Direct Dutch (which is REALLY expensive) or the volksuniversiteit. I want to become fully fluent, so I'm not looking for a course that will teach me just enough to get by (I saw a lot of those in my search).

If anyone has any suggestions, please pass them along! Thanks!

Grytolle
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German

Re: Dutch Language Courses in The Hague

Post by Grytolle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:08 pm

try dutchgrammar.com :lol:
:-)

Ome Jorge
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: Spanish

Re: Dutch Language Courses in The Hague

Post by Ome Jorge » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi Tournesol,

Regarding your question, your situation is of major importance. If you will have a job, maybe your company can fund your study. On the other hand, if you want to get really fluent in Dutch in a short time, you are stuck to private institutes that are quite expensive. There may be a club with citizens of your own country that can help. Otherwise I would advise you to try and study yourself, and do learning by doing. For self studies there is a lot of stuff available on the net, that is not too expensive. Try the Delftse methode, and you will find a cd for around Euro 11. Imho I would not recommend the Volksuniversiteit, for my own expriences for learning foreign languages there are not satisfying. Another possibility is to try to find somebody for language exchange. If you are fluent in French, that would not be very difficult.

If you will come to The Hague for educational reasons, your school might have programmes for foreign students. I know that the Delft University of Technology has outstanding classes.

OJ :mrgreen: