Studying in the Netherlands

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
Geree
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Hungary

Studying in the Netherlands

Post by Geree » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:12 am

Is there other ways than the ones you mentioned? Because all the ways to study there cost a LOT of money... Is there any way to be a REAL student? I will try to explain myself: For example in a school where the education is in english, a dutch kid can join for free (I think it's free). Is there any way for me to join there (for free, too)? In my country it's possible for a foreigner, and I think the Netherlands is MUCH more modern than Hungary!

Have you got the time to talk about this? I will watch the forum...

[Your question is discussed in another thread --Bieneke]

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:42 am

Hello Geree,

You may try to find a scholarship. There are a lot of scholarships and grants for studying in Netherlands. For example, you may look in the site of Netherlands embassy for your country. If I find some handy links I`ll post them here (If moderators don`t mind).
I wish you luck!

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am

The moderators would be very grateful :P .
Bieneke

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

where can I study

Post by iandominicp77 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:47 am

Hallo!!!!

Ik ben Ian uit de Filippijnen. I will be going to the Netherlands hopefully next week. I will be staying in Ridderkerk - near Rotterdam. Does anyone here know a good school or the likes where I could study dutch formally? Your info would be greatly appreciated..

bedankt

ian
Veel succes met nederlands leren!!!

Wim
Native speaker & moderator
Second language: English (Great Britain)
Third language: French
Fourth language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Quite a lot.

Post by Wim » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:23 pm

Hallo Ian,

Depending on the basis for your sojourn in the Netherlands (student, partner of a Dutch person, professional etc.) the community of Ridderkerk will possibly offer you an inburgeringscursus ('naturalization course') which will contain formal language lessons in Dutch and lessons about our society. I expect you'll have to report to the IND (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst - 'Immigration and Naturalization Office') for a residence permit, and tell them you are going to live in Ridderkerk. I expect they'll refer you to the community of Ridderkerk, which will tell you what to do and where to go to school.

Kind regards,
Wim

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

bedankt

Post by iandominicp77 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:27 am

:D Hoi Wim,

Bedankt voor de informatie.... zo I have to wait then.....

Groetjes

Marco
Superlid
Third language: Turkish
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German, Italian, Spanish.

Re: bedankt

Post by Marco » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:21 pm

iandominicp77 wrote::D Hoi Wim,

Bedankt voor de informatie.... dus I have to wait then.....

Groetjes
Your thought wasn't wrong actually, the English 'so' can mean both 'zo' and 'dus'. But if 'so' has the meaning of a conlusion, you have to take 'dus'. :wink:

Let me give you examples:

He's so big! - Hij is zo groot!
Dat maakt me zo moe! - That makes me so tired!

Wiskunde is zo moeilijk, dus ik ga er goed voor leren! - Mathematics is so difficult, so I'm gonna study for it well!

Het regent, dus zijn de daken nat. - It rains, so the roofs are wet.
Ik luister graag naar de Sugababes, dus je kunt me gerust een fan noemen. - I like listening to the Sugababes, so you can easily call me a fan.

Sue
Superlid

looking for courses

Post by Sue » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Went to my local ROC today to find out about courses. The receptionist didn't know what Dutch for foreigners courses they did and there was no one that could help me - could I come back another day????

What does that say about the organisation??! Doesn't inspire confidence!!!

Sue :x
The only difference between a rut and a grave... is in their dimensions.

Marco
Superlid
Third language: Turkish
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German, Italian, Spanish.

Post by Marco » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:33 pm

Ugh, hate it when that happens! :roll:

Sue
Superlid

Post by Sue » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:21 pm

Marco wrote:Ugh, hate it when that happens! :roll:
Forgot to mention - when I went to town hall they said that the only place to go to for courses was the ROC!

I am doomed before I start!!! Perhaps I will just use the internet!

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:34 pm

I just cannot believe it is so hard to enroll in a Dutch course! How discouraging. Perhaps Wim can give you some good advice. If he can't, I doubt whether anybody can :wink: .

Houd moed!

Groetjes,
Bieneke

iLoNa

discouraging system of learning Dutch

Post by iLoNa » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:01 am

Nice to know I am not the only one.... I just got turned down at Leiden Talen Centrum for wanting to improve my speaking.... I was soooooo bumped... I quote... "jouw nederlands is aardig, maar het is niet genoug" :cry:
Bieneke wrote:I just cannot believe it is so hard to enroll in a Dutch course! How discouraging. Perhaps Wim can give you some good advice. If he can't, I doubt whether anybody can :wink: .

Houd moed!

Groetjes,

Wim
Native speaker & moderator
Third language: French
Fourth language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Quite a lot.

Post by Wim » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:46 am

I'll make some inquiries with colleagues who do the intake at my school (Mondriaan in Delft). Formerly the communities had to buy their Dutch classes for foreigners at the local ROC, nowadays they don't have to do so anymore but may turn to the cheapest offerer. This doesn't always guarantee good quality. Things are changing a lot anyway...

I'll come back to it next week (I hope).

Kind regards,
Wim

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

Re: looking for courses

Post by iandominicp77 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:16 am

Sue wrote:Went to my local ROC today to find out about courses. The receptionist didn't know what Dutch for foreigners courses they did and there was no one that could help me - could I come back another day????

What does that say about the organisation??! Doesn't inspire confidence!!!

This is something very discouraging..... I was hoping that it's much easier to find an institution to learn dutch.... so that buitenlanders, who wish to reside in the Netherlands, will know the language fast en good..... and later on be properly integrated in the society!!!! :(

:-&
ian

Sue
Superlid

Re: looking for courses

Post by Sue » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:49 am

iandominicp77 wrote:This is something very discouraging..... I was hoping that it's much easier to find an institution to learn dutch.... so that buitenlanders, who wish to reside in the Netherlands, will know the language fast en good..... and later on be properly integrated in the society!!!! :(

:-&
ian
yes it is, Ian. I spoke to the other English Expat in the town (yes, as far as we know there are just the two of us!) and she went to a course at the ROC and she said that the teachers were quite cold and unfriendly. She was progressing ahead of the class but they wouldn't let her go to the next level earlier because it would compare unfavourably against the other students, so she was held back. She certainly wouldn't recommend it, they also wanted €2,000 for her to continue her studies.

I think I am going to continue learning at home using books, internet, TV and talking as much as I can. Fortunately being English I don't HAVE to take any qualifications, my in-house teacher is much more helpful and cheaper!

Are you already in NL or planning to move here? I am sure it will be better for you, we are in the east of the country, in the middle of nowhere so that might be why courses are harder to find.

Good luck!

Sue :D