Studying in the Netherlands

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
iandominicp77
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands

Post by iandominicp77 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:58 pm

:shock: Man, 2.000 euro is a lot of money!!!! And if you are right, that the teachers were rather cold and unfriendly, I would not want to spend that amount of money for such a course..... jammer!!!!!

Are you living in Venlo or somewhere near it?

I guess I will have to study on my own as well while looking for a better option when I will be there..... Ja, I was supposed to arrive in Nederland vandaag maar I did not receive my ticket yet (which was sent to me by post by my fiance!!!) I might be leaving this Wednesday instead.... Erg jammer!!!! (Super klote ---- according to my future brother-in-law..... but my future sister-in-law advise me not to use these words because these are "very bad dutch words".... hehehe... I still don't know the meaning though.... and I don't want to know...

I guess I have to wish ourselves the best of luck!!!!!!
Veel succes met nederlands leren!!!

oddett
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Bulgaria

Post by oddett » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:04 pm

I promised to post some useful links for scholarships. I think I have found one good site.

http://www.grantfinder.nl/content/index.asp

I hope that it is really useful. :)

Sue
Superlid

Post by Sue » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:04 pm

iandominicp77 wrote::shock: Man, 2.000 euro is a lot of money!!!! And if you are right, that the teachers were rather cold and unfriendly, I would not want to spend that amount of money for such a course..... jammer!!!!!

Are you living in Venlo or somewhere near it?

I guess I will have to study on my own as well while looking for a better option when I will be there..... Ja, I was supposed to arrive in Nederland vandaag maar I did not receive my ticket yet (which was sent to me by post by my fiance!!!) I might be leaving this Wednesday instead.... Erg jammer!!!! (Super klote ---- according to my future brother-in-law..... but my future sister-in-law advise me not to use these words because these are "very bad dutch words".... hehehe... I still don't know the meaning though.... and I don't want to know...

I guess I have to wish ourselves the best of luck!!!!!!
Good luck!!! I hope you eventually get over to NL and get everything sorted.

Yes, think I am going to be home schooled from now on! Better not tell my fiance about the cost of courses, he might want paying!

I am in provincie Overijssel - which is north of Venlo. Between Zwolle and Enschede. Still as far as Expats are concerned, in the middle of nowhere.

Some words are really interesting when you look them up in the dictionary - some of them I am quite shocked that would be put in there (in full!)!!!

Let us know how you get on!

Sue :D
The only difference between a rut and a grave... is in their dimensions.

Marco
Superlid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English (Great Britain)
Third language: Turkish
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German, Italian, Spanish.

Post by Marco » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:17 pm

Sorry to say it Sue, but I don't consider the part where I live (another part of Eastern Netherlands) to be in the middle of nowhere. :P

Sue
Superlid

Post by Sue » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:46 am

Marco wrote:Sorry to say it Sue, but I don't consider the part where I live (another part of Eastern Netherlands) to be in the middle of nowhere. :P

But as far as Expats go, it is in the middle of nowhere - they usually stick to the western or industrial areas, obviously where there are a lot of Expat jobs. Over here seems quite isolated in comparison.

No offence meant. Shall I shut up before I dig the hole any deeper???? :wink:

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

I finally arrive in Holland

Post by iandominicp77 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:35 pm

:D Hey Sue,

Ik ben eindelijk aangekomen bij Holland!!! I will go to the gemente morgen and do something about my application for the residence Permit.... I hope that I will also get an idea about my possible dutch language courses....

I will keep in touch.....

ian

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:12 pm

Welkom Ian!

Ik hoop dat je goede regenkleding hebt meegenomen :D
Bieneke

Marco
Superlid
Second language: English (Great Britain)
Third language: Turkish
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: German, Italian, Spanish.

Post by Marco » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:23 pm

Sue wrote:No offence meant. Shall I shut up before I dig the hole any deeper???? :wink:
Haha, please don't apologize, I wasn't offended at all! :) I'm simply a proud Achterhoeker! :lol:

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

6 long months

Post by iandominicp77 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:12 pm

Sue wrote:yes it is, Ian. I spoke to the other English Expat in the town (yes, as far as we know there are just the two of us!) and she went to a course at the ROC and she said that the teachers were quite cold and unfriendly. She was progressing ahead of the class but they wouldn't let her go to the next level earlier because it would compare unfavourably against the other students, so she was held back. She certainly wouldn't recommend it, they also wanted €2,000 for her to continue her studies.

I think I am going to continue learning at home using books, internet, TV and talking as much as I can. Fortunately being English I don't HAVE to take any qualifications, my in-house teacher is much more helpful and cheaper!

Are you already in NL or planning to move here? I am sure it will be better for you, we are in the east of the country, in the middle of nowhere so that might be why courses are harder to find.

Good luck!

I went to Gemeente Ridderkerk last week and have applied for mijn Verblijfsvergunning. De man zegt dat I will have to wait for 6 months before I will be granted the "very belangrijk document"...

Ik ben dus teleurgesteld omdat; I am forbidden to go to school for (formal nederlandse taal les), I am forbidden to travel outside the Nederlands, I am forbidden to work (if I work it's illegall, and if I get caught, I will probably be sent home)..... Basically ik heb NIKS te DOEN!!!

Ja, zelfstuderen misschien maar het beter is met formal study.

I´m just glad that we have a new huis that needs new stuffs like new behang, paint, etc....to keep myself druk for the coming 6 koud, lang, saai maanden!!!

ian

[edit by Bieneke: Ian, I merged your 'guest post' into this post and deleted your guest post]

Bieneke
Site Administrator

Post by Bieneke » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:03 am

What a nuisance, having to wait for your residence permit for six months. There is a forum for 'mixed couples' (http://www.mixed-couples.nl/index.php?option=com_smf) where you can meet a lot of people in the same situation (waiting, waiting..). Holland is definitely not the easiest country to immigrate to.

By spring, your place must look like a small palace, Ian. 8)

-------------------
Wat een ellende, zeg, zes maanden op je verblijfsvergunning moeten wachten. Er is een forum voor 'mixed couples' (http://www.mixed-couples.nl/index.php?option=com_smf), waar je veel lotgenoten kunt ontmoeten. Nederland is zeker niet het makkelijkste land om naartoe te immigreren.

Tegen de lente moet je huis eruit zien als een klein paleisje, Ian.
Bieneke

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

Post by iandominicp77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:31 pm

Hallo Sue en andere mensen ,

I just got word from Albeda college, through mijn vriendin, that I can start with my Nederlands leren hopefully next year. We already made an appointment with the school hier in Ridderkerk. First, they have to test my level of Dutch in reading, listening, writing and speaking.

IF THINGS WILL TURN OUT FINE, I WILL ONLY PAY 20 EURO FOR A YEARS COURSE!!!! Yes, you heard it right... 20 Euro ONLY.... Not 2000 Euro...

There will be around 12 mensen in every class, of different nationalities of course. I will have to go to school for 3 days. Leuk he!!!!

Ian

Bieneke
Site Administrator

Post by Bieneke » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Wow Ian,

Dat klinkt veelbelovend! Ik hoop voor je dat je dagen van zelfstudie inderdaad geteld zijn. :wink:

That sounds promising! I hope that your days of self-study are indeed over.
Bieneke

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

Post by iandominicp77 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:05 pm

Ja wel,

It will indeed be over in a couple of weeks, denk ik. Just been to a school and things seems to look very promising.... Super...

Ian

barbara
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: United States

Post by barbara » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:05 am

Good luck Ian!

Sue
Superlid

Post by Sue » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:21 am

Recap of my previous experiences - after trying to get information out of ROC by going there twice and being told to come back another day, I gave up and found another course where they give you lessons in exchange for volunteer work.

So you can imagine my surprise when 3 months after my ROC experience I get a letter from them asking me to come for a test to see what my level is before joining their courses! I am certainly not going to bother after my previous experiences of them! And they addressed me as "heer/mevrouw" - they couldn't even be bothered to find out which I am! You think the name "susan" would have given them a clue!

:x