Language competency exams for working in Belgium?

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
friendlyface
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom

Language competency exams for working in Belgium?

Post by friendlyface » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi Bieneke & Guys,

I was wondering whether the CNAVT exam was applicable for working in Belgium (Flanders) too, or is there a specific Flemish language exam that foreigners could take before they move there?

Is there also French equivalent of this exam specific to Belgium (like the DELF & DALF in France) ?

Many thanks.

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:48 pm

I am sure there is a French-Dutch language exam but I do not know where you could pass it in France. I will see if I can find some information.
Bieneke

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks Bieneke. I would like to work in Belgium (Flanders or Brussels) in the future, and was wondering if the CNAVT (Dutch language proficiency) or DELF/DALF (French language proficiency test) are valid in Belgium? Would employers recognise these qualifications, or is there a Belgian equivalent of the Netherlands CNAVT exam and France's DELF/DALF exam? I'm based in the UK by the way, so would like to take the qualification here.

Thanks

friendlyface
Nieuwkomer

Post by friendlyface » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:05 pm

Sorry that was my post above - Forgot to sign in again ;)

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi friendlyface,

Yes, the CNaVT (http://www.cnavt.org) is an official language proficiency certificate issued by the Nederlandse Taalunie (Dutch Language Union), which is valid in both the Netherlands and Belgium.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Each year the Nederlandse Taalunie organises examinations for the Certificate of Dutch as a Foreign Language or CNaVT (Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal).

In 2003 the Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal introduced a new certificate system, to reflect more closely the needs of those who want to use the Dutch language. People want to learn Dutch for many different reasons. Some people for example learn Dutch because they are working for Dutch speaking companies. Others have family or friends in Flanders or the Netherlands . The CNaVT therefore offers an internationally recognised certificate. The new certificate system consists of four socially relevant profiles:

Profile Academic Language Proficiency (PAT)
This profile is aimed at people who are about to finish their studies in Dutch as a foreign language or who are at the beginning of a career as teacher of Dutch as a foreign language. They should be able to deal with texts both orally and in writing at the academic level.

Profile Professional Proficiency (PPT)
This profile is aimed at people who need Dutch in administrative and service positions such as administrative clerk, programmer, sales representative, travel agent, telephone operator, bank clerk, receptionist, accountant, etc.

Profile Social Language Proficiency (PMT)
This profile is aimed at people who have an interest in the Dutch language (and culture) and who wish to understand texts such as newspaper articles and news broadcasts. Additionally, this profile is also suitable for those wanting to settle in a Dutch-speaking area for a longer period and who wish to understand and use Dutch during that period.

Profile Tourist and Informal Language Proficiency (PTIT)
This profile is aimed at people wanting to maintain social contacts with their Dutch-speaking family or friends, at those wanting to demonstrate that they can manage as a tourist in a Dutch-speaking area, or at those wanting to communicate with Dutch-speaking tourists in a non-professional context in their own country.

NEW in 2006 - Profile language proficiency higher education (PTHO)
This exam is intended for those who want to enroll at a university or other institute of higher education in Dutch-speaking territories, taking into account different branches of study.

NEW in 2006 - Profile language proficiency practical professions (PTPB)
This profile exam is intended for those who are not pursuing higher education and who wish to start working as labourers or skilled workers in Dutch-speaking territories (e.g. as electrician, lorry driver, repairmen.. or waiter in a restaurant, worker in a warehouse, geriatric helper etc).

For each profile one exam is developed for which a certificate can be obtained. The profiles will be situated generally in relation to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEF), developed by the Council of Europe, and in relation to the levels of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE), of which CNaVT is a member.

Preparation
The CNaVT exams are in principle independent of any educational curriculum: they are based on the language proficiency requirements set out in the profile descriptions and not on existing course material or specific course books. The CNaVT does not publish any course books or methods to prepare for the exams.

Source: http://www.kuleuven.be/ilt/engels/e_cer ... detaal.htm
Bieneke

friendlyface
Nieuwkomer

Post by friendlyface » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:06 pm

Thanks for this Bieneke.

Just one last question - do you get marks for each level of the CNAVT (e.g. x/100) or do you just receive the certificate? Apologies if this question has been covered in another thread.