Studying in Belgium-Fresh out of highschool

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
tulpje
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Spanish
Third language: Dutch (Flanders)

Studying in Belgium-Fresh out of highschool

Post by tulpje » Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 pm

I do have a year of university under my belt in the states, but I would like to go to University in Belgium.
Specifically I am looking at The University of Antwerp, Leuven, or the hogeschool Artesis.

So far I am looking at Linguapolis-A bit pricey but it works. ATLAS-Which is literally a two minute walk from the house I am staying at AND cheap. The problem is they wont accept me until I physically go to their office which means I can't get a visa here until I visit again and I'm trying to avoid that....

On the Mock proficiency test, I got an beginner/intermediate score.
I have been running into some troubles regarding a visa however. I must pass my NT2 to apply to an actual school... I was wondering if I would have to go to a language school for a year and -hopefully- pass my dutch exam, and then return home to apply for a new visa to the university? OR
Can I extend my visa and stay in Belgium?

This is so very important to me because I am afraid that if I have to spend the money to go home and come back that I wont have enough money and will be stuck working in the states for another year before I could go back.

Has anyone had experience with this? I've contacted several institutions including the consulate in my area and I have been snubbed in every way possible. It's quite frustrating and I'm hoping someone here can help through experience.

P.S. I am not looking for an EXCHANGE or a One year residency (Although I have considered that for my language school time) I am looking to semi permanently move to belgium and perhaps apply for citizenship while I am there.

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Studying in Belgium-Fresh out of highschool

Post by Quetzal » Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 pm

tulpje wrote:I do have a year of university under my belt in the states, but I would like to go to University in Belgium.
Specifically I am looking at The University of Antwerp, Leuven, or the hogeschool Artesis.
I'm going to stop you right there... that's an odd list. What kind of program are you looking to do that makes you list those three (and not others)?
tulpje wrote:
So far I am looking at Linguapolis-A bit pricey but it works. ATLAS-Which is literally a two minute walk from the house I am staying at AND cheap. The problem is they wont accept me until I physically go to their office which means I can't get a visa here until I visit again and I'm trying to avoid that....

On the Mock proficiency test, I got an beginner/intermediate score.
I have been running into some troubles regarding a visa however. I must pass my NT2 to apply to an actual school... I was wondering if I would have to go to a language school for a year and -hopefully- pass my dutch exam, and then return home to apply for a new visa to the university? OR
Can I extend my visa and stay in Belgium?

This is so very important to me because I am afraid that if I have to spend the money to go home and come back that I wont have enough money and will be stuck working in the states for another year before I could go back.

Has anyone had experience with this? I've contacted several institutions including the consulate in my area and I have been snubbed in every way possible. It's quite frustrating and I'm hoping someone here can help through experience.

P.S. I am not looking for an EXCHANGE or a One year residency (Although I have considered that for my language school time) I am looking to semi permanently move to belgium and perhaps apply for citizenship while I am there.
I'm guessing there's love involved in this decision? :)

I'm not honestly sure regarding the visa, I would expect that as long as you remain a student extending your visa could be done from here... but obviously you'd really need to check that with a reliable source (such as the Belgian embassy in the US).

It may be tricky if money is that tight that even just going back to the US for a while is financially difficult, though, getting a student visa does require proof of financial support or means... and unfortunately as an American you wouldn't qualify for European tuition rates for a while.

Trying to get your NT2 exam while on a temporary stay or exchange program is perhaps not that bad as a plan B, either... but then obviously you have to be good enough in Dutch as to be virtually sure you'll pass it.

tulpje
Nieuwkomer

Post by tulpje » Thu May 24, 2012 1:50 am

Quetzal wrote: I'm going to stop you right there... that's an odd list. What kind of program are you looking to do that makes you list those three (and not others)?
Medicine eventually, but perhaps Artesis for a beginning in nursing. Leuven was a choice because it had a one year residency with it's language program which was also relatively cheap.

I'm guessing there's love involved in this decision? :)
Yeah. :\

It may be tricky if money is that tight that even just going back to the US for a while is financially difficult, though, getting a student visa does require proof of financial support or means... and unfortunately as an American you wouldn't qualify for European tuition rates for a while.
I've checked and most of the universities I've looked into there isn't a huge difference between european and non european tuition rates. Either way, it's much cheaper than in the states. I am a bit worried about the proof of financial means... I have a lot of money saved up and a place to stay but I guess we will have to see how it all works out. I may have to save for another year :\
Trying to get your NT2 exam while on a temporary stay or exchange program is perhaps not that bad as a plan B, either... but then obviously you have to be good enough in Dutch as to be virtually sure you'll pass it.
I'm considering a one year residency and hopefully I would pass after that :/

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Thu May 24, 2012 10:19 pm

tulpje wrote: Medicine eventually, but perhaps Artesis for a beginning in nursing. Leuven was a choice because it had a one year residency with it's language program which was also relatively cheap.
Oh, nice. My sister is doing medicine now, in Leuven (which is also where I studied, and live for that matter).

Do keep in mind that medicine is the only remaining study in Flanders that has an entrance exam. As far as I'm aware, you still have to pass it even if you already have some years of nursing (or other relevant) study under your belt. The entrance exam is organized twice a year, in early July and then a second opportunity in late August, and has a somewhat fearsome reputation; it primarily tests knowledge in maths, chemistry, physics and (obviously) biology, but I understand that there's also a "logical thinking" section (the kind of stuff you generally get in IQ tests), plus a section that aims to test your mindset and social skills with regard to dealing with patients. Or at least that's how it was two years ago.

I assume you're already aware that medicine begins as an undergrad study like any other here (as does law for that matter), we don't have anything like "pre-med". Instead, it just takes longer - as of this year, six years minimum, plus at least three years of specialization afterwards. So you may want to consider that when deciding if you want to start nursing first... otoh, it might be a good preparation for the entrance exam, and based on what my sister says, there's a lot of (future) doctors out there who could do with more nursing experience.

tulpje wrote:
Quetzal wrote:I'm guessing there's love involved in this decision? :)
Yeah. :\
I used to date an American girl myself. So I feel your pain, long distance relationships can be difficult (though they also have their good sides). If one of us had gone to study in the other's country at the time, perhaps we could've made things work... good for you, anyway!

tulpje wrote:I've checked and most of the universities I've looked into there isn't a huge difference between european and non european tuition rates. Either way, it's much cheaper than in the states. I am a bit worried about the proof of financial means... I have a lot of money saved up and a place to stay but I guess we will have to see how it all works out. I may have to save for another year :\
Huh. Seems you're right... they must've changed it recently. Only five or so years ago, the non-European tuition rates, at least for Master's programmes but I think maybe for Bachelors as well, were set at EUR 5000 a year, while the rates for European students were (and still is) not much more than EUR 500. At the KU Leuven, anyway.

tulpje
Nieuwkomer

Post by tulpje » Fri May 25, 2012 3:02 am

Do keep in mind that medicine is the only remaining study in Flanders that has an entrance exam. As far as I'm aware, you still have to pass it even if you already have some years of nursing (or other relevant) study under your belt. The entrance exam is organized twice a year, in early July and then a second opportunity in late August...
Yeah I know tweede zitten and all that jazz. My boyfriend actually is completing his first year of Medicine at the University of Antwerp so I'm quite familiar with all that's involved... I thought the nursing background could be nothing but helpful and something to fall back on if I were to fail the entry exam. I've also considered doing the extra year of science/math that's available for students who have passed highschool in preparation for the exam. That's what he did and he passed!

And yeah, long distance stuff sucks so much sometimes, but we've been together for quite a few years now... It's time for us to be together, I think... It will just take a lot of hard work.

Thank you so much for all your help! You've been the nicest person I've talked to. People at the embassy have not been very nice thus far.