Bachelor's degree holder in Asia

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
inuyasha
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Vietnamese
Second language: English (United States)

Bachelor's degree holder in Asia

Post by inuyasha » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:14 am

Hallo allemaal,
I've just have the diploma from het Staatsexamen 1 and I've been wondering how I can study further as I am a Bachelor's degree holder from Vietnam. My faculty is banking and finance. I have no idea about dutch work market. :o I dont know if I still can follow my major. As a matter of fact I'd like to study whatever (relevant to banking, finance, accounting) I can easilier find a job that i'd get educated, (prefer English courses)
I think looking for a job hier that I am not an English and Dutch native speaker is really difficult. At any rate, the employers always seem to select Dutch or English speakers first.

What faculty do you think most foreigners can somewhat find a job after graduated? I have searched for a couple of schools but I dont know what i should study. There are a wide range of courses. Such things I am concerned because many people out there are still unemployed when they finished school.
I am really frustrated, I hope that someone here can help me out. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me any suggestions, advice or tips...
Als die bovenstaande informatie niet voldoende is om mij advies te geven, mag je altijd mij nog vragen!
Hartstikke bedankt!

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Bachelor's degree holder in Asia

Post by Quetzal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:56 pm

inuyasha wrote:Hallo allemaal,
I've just have the diploma from het Staatsexamen 1 and I've been wondering how I can study further as I am a Bachelor's degree holder from Vietnam. My faculty is banking and finance. I have no idea about dutch work market. :o I dont know if I still can follow my major. As a matter of fact I'd like to study whatever (relevant to banking, finance, accounting) I can easilier find a job that i'd get educated, (prefer English courses)
I think looking for a job hier that I am not an English and Dutch native speaker is really difficult. At any rate, the employers always seem to select Dutch or English speakers first.
Hi Inuyasha!

I'm not sure if many people here really know the Dutch job market well enough to say with which study you have the best chances of getting a job. It's definitely true that speaking excellent Dutch or English, and preferably both, is required for most jobs in that sector. But since you already seem to be fairly fluent in both, and will have more time to improve before you start looking for a job, that should be okay? Having another language, even an "exotic" one like Vietnamese, can always be an asset.

Have you already done the paperwork to get your Vietnamese degree accepted in the Netherlands? I don't know how easy or difficult that will be, but obviously it should be your first priority if you have not done this yet.
inuyasha wrote: What faculty do you think most foreigners can somewhat find a job after graduated? I have searched for a couple of schools but I dont know what i should study. There are a wide range of courses. Such things I am concerned because many people out there are still unemployed when they finished school.
I am really frustrated, I hope that someone here can help me out. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me any suggestions, advice or tips...
Als die bovenstaande informatie niet voldoende is om mij advies te geven, mag je altijd mij nog vragen!
Hartstikke bedankt!
I think you should focus on what you find the most interesting, and what you are the best at. I don't think it will make a big difference what exactly your advanced degree is, in terms of the chances of finding a job - obviously it will make a difference in which kind of job you end up doing.

Best of luck in any case!

janie2012
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

Re: Bachelor's degree holder in Asia

Post by janie2012 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 am

I've been reading your post and this gave me a lot of idea. Thanks for the information. I know you're having a hard time finding a job, but in case you still can't find a job, I think there's a lot of vacancies out there, most especially in the internet. I know you finished already you bachelors degree and I think it would be easier. Additionally, we have been told our whole lives that to get a good job in America that you need a four-year degree. But that might be changing. A new study found that those with two-year associate's degrees are now earning more than those with four-year bachelor degrees. :)

Edit by Quetzal to remove the spam link - otherwise the post seems relevant enough.