studying in Leuven

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
zouzoufromparis
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: France
Mother tongue: French

studying in Leuven

Post by zouzoufromparis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:11 pm

hello!

it's been a while since i've posted a message here, but still checked the forum :lol:
it's a short message to tell you that i'll go in Leuven 5 weeks (from 10 september) to study Dutch intensively :D
looking forward to it and a bit worried.....if belgian people want to meet me in Bxl, in Leuven, or ....let me know

tot ziens

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Great, Zouzou!

Ik kijk al uit naar je lange berichten in het Nederlands tegen het einde van september (grapje natuurlijk). :p Houd je ons wel op de hoogte van je vooruitgang en je avonturen in Leuven? ;-)
---
I am already looking forward to your long Dutch posts by the end of September (just joking, of course). :p Will you keep us informed about your progress and your adventures in Leuven? ;-)
Bieneke

zouzoufromparis
Waardevol lid

Post by zouzoufromparis » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:37 am

hello Bieneke!

don't know if i'll be able to write a long message in Dutch :lol: but this is the aim :D
yeah, i'll try to keep you inform as soon as i can

see ya
xxx

Leeuwin
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English

Post by Leeuwin » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:34 am

Dag,

Ik heb sommige vraagen. I am planning to move to Leuven in January. I want to study at K.U. van Leuven.

1. How much ahead of time do you have to register to study there, if you want to be enrolled by 2007?

2. If you do not speak Dutch fluently, is there a crash course to learn Dutch on time for the 2007 - 2008 school year?

3. If you are a Belgian, but have a foreign diploma, are there any entrance examinations to go into the university? (specificaly the medical field)

If anyone has any information concerning these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be prepared to enter K. U. Leuven, by 2007.

Met vriendelijk groeten,
Leeuwin :D

zouzoufromparis
Waardevol lid

Post by zouzoufromparis » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:38 am

hello,

can't answer all your question coz' i wasn't in the university of K.U.Leuven but in another school! coz' i'm not a student anymore!

but for the answers of your questions u can check the website kuleuven.be and then you have the names, tel, and mail addresses of the persons u can contact!

hope it'll help you!
do you already know the city? and that's why u want to go there?

tot ziens

zouzou

Leeuwin
Superlid

Post by Leeuwin » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:34 pm

Dag Zouzoufromparis, :D

Ik was geboren in Leuven. Ja, ik ken een beetje van de stad. Ik vind Leuven een prachtige plaats om te bestuderen.

I was born in Leuven. Yes, I know little bit of the city. I find Leuven a wonderful place to study.

Groetjes,
Leeuwin :lol:

zouzoufromparis
Waardevol lid

Post by zouzoufromparis » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:50 am

dag Leewin,

you are a lucky girl!
coz'regarding myself, i felt in love for your city :o

tot staks
xxx

Leeuwin
Superlid

Post by Leeuwin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:12 pm

Dag zouzoufromparis,

Are you studying in Leuven too?

Groetjes, Leeuwin :-D

zouzoufromparis
Waardevol lid

Post by zouzoufromparis » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:05 pm

nee, i'm back from 5 weeks studying dutch in Leuven. so right now i'm in france!
buti often come in Leuven during the year! next time will be 1 day in novembre to do a cantus!
but in fact i know Leuven coz' 6 years ago i was there as an erasmus student!!
what are you studing btw?

tot ziens

Leeuwin
Superlid

Post by Leeuwin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:34 pm

Dag Zouzoufromprais, :-D

Ik ga naar K.U. Leuven een doktor worden. I also plan to take the 5 week couse too, to learn flemish fluently. I was wondering, if you could tell me when that course starts and how many hours does one put into it?

Ohh... by the way thank you for giving me that website about K.U. Leuven, it was very helpful.

Groetjes Leeuwin :D

zouzoufromparis
Waardevol lid

Post by zouzoufromparis » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:37 am

hey,

so if i've understood correctly u was born in Leuven but you are not flemish? i mean u not speak dutch?

about the courses, i don't know when it start now, coz' i'm back to france!!
but i didn't follow it with KU Leuven, but with other school, so can contact several schools in leuven : ilt, clt, groept....u just have to go there or in their website to have more information.
sure it will be more easier than for me coz' you live there :-D

take care
xxx

evilbu
Superlid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by evilbu » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:16 am

Leeuwin wrote:Dag,

Ik heb sommige vraagen.
Maybe it was just a typo but you never know : the plural of vraag is vragen. vra-gen, so the first syllable is open, the a is already long because of that, no need to write "aa".

mnik
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Re: studying in Leuven

Post by mnik » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 pm

i really think leuven has the oldest and the darkest buildings which worries me a bit...
i am looking for an apartment over there as i will start a language course together with my job there, i would appreciate any suggestions regarding a nice, sunny business flat.... :o
thanks in advance! :-)

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 pm

mnik wrote:i really think leuven has the oldest and the darkest buildings which worries me a bit...
i am looking for an apartment over there as i will start a language course together with my job there, i would appreciate any suggestions regarding a nice, sunny business flat.... :o
thanks in advance! :-)
Why do old buildings worry you, exactly? As for dark, you should've seen the city a few decades ago, before they cleaned everything up... trust me, it's very light now. :P Can't really think of many places with a lot of dark buildings...

Regarding the flat, I've obviously never had to look for one (I've lived in a house not far outside the Leuven centre for essentially all my life), but if you need one for the coming year, you definitely shouldn't postpone getting it, as this is already getting a bit late - most of the students have gotten their accommodation already so I'd imagine there's not as much left to be had. Of course the majority of students rents rooms and not apartments, but some do, so I would imagine they have a significant impact on the renting market for apartments as well.

Feel free to ask me (here or through private message) for advice about location, transport, stores, etc.

tims
Nieuwkomer

Post by tims » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 am

by mnik » August 17th, 2011, 10:16 pm

i really think leuven has the oldest and the darkest buildings which worries me a bit...
i am looking for an apartment over there as i will start a language course together with my job there, i would appreciate any suggestions regarding a nice, sunny business flat....
thanks in advance!
Hey mnik I can understand you completely. This was also how I felt when I first arrived.
Why do they have to build houses with the smallest possible windows, in a country where you can only see the sun 1 month a year.

Check this one out http://apartmentsinleuven.com though brand new and has big windows