Grants for courses for beginners?

Here you can ask questions or share your expertise about Dutch and Flemish university courses, the educational system, tuition fees, study grants & loans, and English language programs.
chrism
Lid

Grants for courses for beginners?

Post by chrism » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:32 pm

Hey, i know this will probably have been hasked a hundred times, but thought Id check. Im a complete beginner at dutch and wondered if they had any sort of government funded scheme for foreigners who want to go to the Netherlands and do a course, like in the summer or something. Am asking because Im going on a course to Galicia in Spain to study Galician, and the governments paying the course and housing for me. Wondered if there was anythign similar in Holland. Thanks a lot for any help! Have looked around on the Dutch government site but found nothing.

Bieneke
Site Administrator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by Bieneke » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Hoi Chrism,

Unfortunately, I do not know of such a program in the Netherlands or Belgium. If you find one, do let us know!

Groetjes,
Bieneke
Bieneke

Wim
Native speaker & moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English (Great Britain)
Third language: French
Fourth language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Quite a lot.

Post by Wim » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:36 pm

Hallo Chrism,

I can't imagine anything like this would be possible in the Netherlands. The government even cut back possibilities for foreigners to study Dutch, as according to the newest regulations foreigners who want to live in the Netherlands (i.e., foreigners from outside the EU) should already have some Dutch on arrival. This seems to be the politically correct way to keep illitterate foreigners away. So free summer schools for foreigners? No way. Wish it were different though.

Groeten,
Wim