RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 20th, 2014, 7:19 am    

Dutch Dating

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.

Dutch Dating

Postby muriel » April 22nd, 2008, 2:26 am

I am seeing someone from Holland... and I'm a bit confused.... I was curious what the most common dating ettiquette is in Holland... from romance to going to dinner... to communicating through the week... whatever... i want to know if things are different or if I've made a less than stellar match and therefore I should be worried?
muriel
Nieuwkomer

Mother tongue: English

Dutch Dating

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Re: Dutch Dating

Postby Bieneke » May 25th, 2008, 11:16 pm

Hi Muriel,

Answering questions about the Dutch language is probably more my cup of tea but since no one replied yet, I decided to give it a try. I looked up "Dutch dating etiquette" on Google and I only found websites explaining what 'going Dutch' on a date is. :p

To what extent Dutch dating is different from what you are used to, depends on where you are from. Dutch dating etiquette ... With the emancipation of women, I think much of the etiquette has changed (or causes confusion ;-)). Dating (dinner, dancing, theatre, etc.), having dinner at his/her place, ..., sounds very common to me.

If it turns out to be a stellar match, you can always come back here to learn the language of your sweetheart. :D
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby Daniel » July 31st, 2008, 12:21 am

Hi Muriel,

I also decided to go to the Netherlands and before my arrival I was also wondering about these topics. I found a website with all kinds of experiences of foreign students in the Netherlands. Maybe it will help you: http://www.memyselfandthedutch.com
Daniel
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Italy
Second language: Italian

Postby Ibiza » August 20th, 2008, 4:47 am

Too bad this is an old topic. If you think you have not made a 'stellar' match then you are most likely dating a typical dutchie. They aren't romantic typically, though some can be a little.....those are the ones that have probably been outside the country or exposed to other nationalities though. They are Cheap! Expect cheap gifts, etc. And they are stubborn so it is hard to work out a relationship issue if it involves any type of confrontation or compromise. You will also hear them say pretty blunt things to your face. There is no chivalry towards a woman, in other words. On the positive they seem more faithful.
Ibiza
Nieuwkomer

Postby kwalijkje » September 2nd, 2008, 5:29 pm

Ibiza wrote:Too bad this is an old topic. If you think you have not made a 'stellar' match then you are most likely dating a typical dutchie. They aren't romantic typically, though some can be a little.....those are the ones that have probably been outside the country or exposed to other nationalities though. They are Cheap! Expect cheap gifts, etc. And they are stubborn so it is hard to work out a relationship issue if it involves any type of confrontation or compromise. You will also hear them say pretty blunt things to your face. There is no chivalry towards a woman, in other words. On the positive they seem more faithful.

Harsh words, he?
I've found the Dutch to be quite romantic. Alot more chivalerous than the English, I find. And bluntness is a typical Dutch attitude (which is good for relationships: wouldn't you rather someone told you the truth than skirted it for an entire relationship?).
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Lui(steren) en(is) moe(ilijk)
kwalijkje
Superlid

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Second language: Dutch

Postby Bieneke » September 2nd, 2008, 9:08 pm

Thanks for standing up for your fellow males from the other side of the (little) pond, Kwalijkje. :D

This topic completely escaped my attention; I think we should have locked it a long time ago. This little subforum was intended for people who are actively studying Dutch on this forum and who would like to discuss their own experiences/frustrations/expectations regarding Dutch or Flemish culture (without having to practice their Dutch while doing so).

Dus bij dezen: gesloten ;)
[so herewith: closed]
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Return to Dutch and Flemish culture