RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 21st, 2014, 8:42 am    

Possible to find studio apartments/bedsits?

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.

Postby Iolanthe » June 19th, 2009, 10:32 am

I'm from England and there I had no trouble finding studio apartments, 1 bedroom apartments, bedsits etc in places like London and Manchester that were cheap. Is this possible in the Netherlands because there seems to be a culture of single room renting for the price that I can get a (albeit crappy) studio apartment in London or somewhere. Why is this? Can anyone point me towards sites that could help?
Iolanthe
Lid

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)
Second language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Re: Possible to find studio apartments/bedsits?

Postby Bieneke » June 19th, 2009, 12:12 pm

It depends on where you are planning to move to. In Amsterdam, housing is very expensive. I recently stumbled upon an ad for a 17m2 studio for 700 EUR a month. :eek:

I wrote something about housing here: http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=Holland.02. It is far from complete, but it is a start.

If it does not matter to you where you live in the Netherlands, look for a place outside the 'Randstad' (or at least, outside the cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, and The Hague).
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby Iolanthe » June 19th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Bieneke wrote:It depends on where you are planning to move to. In Amsterdam, housing is very expensive. I recently stumbled upon an ad for a 17m2 studio for 700 EUR a month. :eek:

I wrote something about housing here: http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=Holland.02. It is far from complete, but it is a start.

If it does not matter to you where you live in the Netherlands, look for a place outside the 'Randstad' (or at least, outside the cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, and The Hague).

Whimpers O_O Yes they're insanely expensive. Unfortuantely my boyfriend decided to be born in the Ranstad so that's where I have to look...silly dutch boy.
Iolanthe
Lid

Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)
Second language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Postby Bieneke » June 19th, 2009, 12:37 pm

It might be worth paying a 'makelaar' (real estate broker) to find a place for you. They usually charge one month rent or another form of 'courtage' (fee), but they have access to affordable places that you do not have access to; many house owners let a 'makelaarskantoor' or 'bemiddelingsbureau' look for tenants. They do not advertise their apartments themselves. http://www.directwonen.nl is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) bemiddelingsbureaus in the Netherlands. On their site, you can view (limited) information and thumbnails of their apartments; to see all information, you need to register (which is not free).

I have used makelaars myself when I was looking for a place to rent. At first, I did not want to waste my money on a makelaar, but I eventually realised that I would actually save a lot of money if I just paid a makelaar to find an affordable place for me.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Postby bokassa » June 29th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Accommodation in NL is definitely cheaper than in UK. If they ask for more it is because thay take advantage of you as a foreigner. I speak out of my own experience. Somebody asked me for 700 euros for a single room in Breda...
bokassa
Waardevol lid

Postby Christel1980 » June 29th, 2009, 5:42 pm

I agree with Bokassa. I used to live in London and Holland is much much cheaper. The only exception is the centre of Amsterdam and the centre of the Hague. Those happen to be the best places to live though :-(
Rotterdam is much cheaper. Less than half the price of living in Amsterdam. And actually a pretty nice place to live too.
Christel1980
Nieuwkomer

Postby MaxJ » June 29th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Christel1980 wrote:I agree with Bokassa. I used to live in London and Holland is much much cheaper. The only exception is the centre of Amsterdam and the centre of the Hague. Those happen to be the best places to live though :-(
Rotterdam is much cheaper. Less than half the price of living in Amsterdam. And actually a pretty nice place to live too.
But London is also a lot more expensive than the rest of England.
Sale
2 Hale
1 Betale
MaxJ
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Postby Christel1980 » June 29th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Iolanthe mentions London in her question....
Christel1980
Nieuwkomer

Postby Bieneke » June 30th, 2009, 11:40 am

I think Christel is right about the prices in Rotterdam; out of the four big cities, Rotterdam is probably the cheapest.

London is among the most expensive cities in the world, so of course, Amsterdam is cheaper than London. However, apartments are not much cheaper. If you look at this list, which ranks cities by the prices you pay for apartments, you see that Monaco and London are followed by Paris and Amsterdam.

Bokassa, I think a landlord in another part of the country might try to ask for a higher rent if the tenant is a foreigner, but in Amsterdam, landlords can simply ask these high prices to anyone (also to me, and I am an Amsterdammer ;-) ) due to the high demand for housing. A large part of the Amsterdam real estate is owned by non-commercial housing corporations; the prices they ask for apartments are a lot lower than on the commercial housing market. Unfortunately, there are long waiting lists and if you have not lived in Amsterdam for a while, you are not likely to find an apartment through one of these corporations.

A cheap alternative is to rent a place through an "anti-squat agency". These are agencies that seek tenants for buildings that are temporarily out of use (e.g. schools). It is usually very cheap and you get to live in the most beautiful buildings. The downside is that the contract is always temporary (sometimes only for a few months). See e.g. http://www.anti-kraak.nl/.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Postby bokassa » June 30th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Anyway a comparison between UK and NL in terms of accommodation does not even make sense, it's like chalk and cheese. UK is all about short term: you can rent a room in no time but then you have no protection, your landlord can kick you out giving a month notice at best.

In Holland it's more difficult to find a proper accommodation (expecially for over 30's singles) but once you're in and play your cards right then you have your rights. Problem is if you are not guided properly you face all sorts of sharks, but this happens everywhere, I think.
bokassa
Waardevol lid

PostThis post was deleted by Joke on January 26th, 2011, 8:24 am.
Reason: Spam

Return to Dutch and Flemish culture