RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 17th, 2014, 8:07 pm    

i love holland

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.

i love holland

Postby iloveholland » August 12th, 2005, 7:29 pm

hallo allemaal

i've lived in amsterdam for a while and i love it!

doei
iloveholland
Nieuwkomer

i love holland

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Sounds good!

Postby Geree » August 13th, 2005, 5:50 pm

I've never been there, but I would like to see it, an even go there to live and work. If you want, then I will listen to your opinion about the city. I'm really interested in it! :D
Last edited by Geree on August 17th, 2005, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geree
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: Hungary

I love Holland tooooo.

Postby Daisy » August 16th, 2005, 2:07 pm

I met my dutch fiance over the internet, it was just by chance really because I was looking for feedback on my music and well I got an e-mail reply from him. We started chatting online and then many phone calls, then he came to scotland for the first time and we just clicked and fell in love :-). Then I went to Holland for two weeks and I loved the whole atmosphere and we got engaged before my return to Scotland. We had co-habited for approx 2 years before I took the big step in moving over and I have no regrets. I have been in Poeldijk for 6 months now and I am learning my way around a little. I get homesick at times but I have a new wonderful dutch family here and can't wait to speak fluent dutch so I can get to know them better. I love the beach, forest walks and canals here. The food is lekker and everything is so cheap, the only drawback is that the clothes are too long as I am only 5ft 1"and have not found a 'winkel' that has my clothes size...so if there is any females that can lead me in the right direction where to clothes shop, it would be much appreciated.
Daisy
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Postby Geree » August 17th, 2005, 5:51 pm

It's a nice story, I think. As good as a fairy tale! No bad points, everything is good, I like it! :D
As I've written in an other part of the forum, I am learning Dutch, because my girlfriend lives there. I love her so much, and want to make our conversations easier for her. Of course we have no problems with communicating each other, but I think (and she said too) she will like it. I will go there in the christmas-break (in the schooltime), and until then I would like to learn dutch as good as it's possible. To know the "engine" of speaking. Knowing the words is not a problem, it's very easy for me. I have a talent in learning languages. That means I see a word 2 times, and I know it.
It would be so good if my story could finish asd good as yours! It's hard to keep a relationship if you can see each other in every 4-5 or 6 months... But I stop weeping... This site is for learning, not for listening my Curriculum Vitae...

ps: How much is 5ft 1" in centimetres? :D :?:
Geree
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: Hungary

Ik houd ook van Holland

Postby barbara » August 20th, 2005, 4:24 am

I was born in Holland (near The Hague) and lived there until the age of seven. I don't have much family there but I have dear friends in different parts of the country. I have lived in several countries but Holland is very special to me. Maybe because I spent my early childhood there. Amsterdam is a nice place to visit. A must-see for every student, I guess :P I love Friesland with its lakes, endless skies, boats, medieval cobble stoned towns... But don't use the word Holland when you refer to "Fryslân"!

What I like about Holland / the Netherlands in general is the air. It seems so fresh, so crispy. I don't know what it is. May be it's just my imagination?
barbara
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: United States

Postby Marco » August 20th, 2005, 4:54 pm

It's funny you think Dutch air is very fresh, because it's actually the most polluted of Europe. I do have to admit that after a shower (from the skies) the air smells very clean. That's what I like best about Dutch air.
Marco
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)

Postby finnsterfran » October 5th, 2005, 6:05 am

One thing about Holland, I've never seen so many doggie-do highways in my entire life! :D seems like 7 out of 10 families have a dog or two. ^-^
finnsterfran
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Singapore

Postby Wim » October 5th, 2005, 9:55 am

True! A considerable part of the Dutch population consists of chickens, pigs and dogs. Most of the chickens and pigs are eventually exported, slaughtered or alive (and some parts of the pigs will be re-imported as 'really Parmesan' ham). The many dogs are kept for pleasure. We also have quite a lot of single elderly ladies. And such ladies tend to keep cats... :lol:

Indeed we are a country of animal lovers, both for profit and for fun!

Groeten,
Wim
Wim
Native speaker & moderator

Second language: English (Great Britain)

Cat-tastrophy

Postby finnsterfran » October 8th, 2005, 6:39 am

Generally I like cats enough, although I'm very much a dog person. Our neighbour has 7 cats. Separating this neighbour and us are just hedges, so the cats roam freely into our backyard. Thats perfectly fine with me.
As the backyard was overgrown with weeds and whatnots, we decided that instead of figuring out which are weeds and which are wanted plants, we uprooted everything. So we had two nice big plots of soil waiting for us to plant in some bulbs and such. BIG MISTAKE. The cats were delighted with their new extremely big kitty litter. UGH.

/finnsterfran
finnsterfran
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Singapore

Postby Bieneke » October 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm

So no tulips for you next year :lol:

If I were a cat, I would do the same.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Second language: English

Postby Ozzyboy » February 16th, 2006, 3:44 am

Hello, mijn voornaam is Ian. Ik heb in Amsterdam in 1985 gewoond, dat is heel veel geleden! Ik hou ook van Nederland, mijn vrouw is een Nederlandse en wij hebben twee kinderen, ze zijn allebei in Australia geboren. Op dit moment wij wonen in Australia maar ik wil een tijd in Nederland wonen, dat is niet zo makkelijk hoor! Wij zullen gezinsherenigen proberen door de IND maar het is zeer ingewikkeld en niet zo leuk...

Ik vind Amsterdam spannend, mooi, maar ook vies en overbevolkt, het is misschien een beetje gevaarlijk voor kinderen in de stad dus zullen wij buiten de stad wonen.

Kun je mijn zinnen voor mij verbeteren austublieft? (Ik vind dit een heerlijk site!)
Ozzyboy
Lid

Country of residence: Australia

Postby Joke » February 16th, 2006, 9:05 am

Hoi Ian,
Je Nederlands is heel goed! Ik heb je foutjes verbeterd.
Ozzyboy wrote:Hallo, mijn (voor)naam is Ian. Ik heb in 1985 in Amsterdam in 1985 gewoond, dat is heel veel lang geleden! Ik hou ook van Nederland, mijn vrouw is een Nederlandse en wij hebben twee kinderen, ze zijn allebei in Australië geboren. Op dit moment wij wonen wij in Australië maar ik wil een tijd in Nederland wonen, dat is niet zo makkelijk hoor! Wij zullen gezinshereniging proberen door de IND, maar het is zeer ingewikkeld en niet zo leuk...

Ik vind Amsterdam spannend, mooi, maar ook vies en overbevolkt, het is misschien een beetje gevaarlijk voor kinderen in de stad dus zullen wij buiten de stad gaan wonen.

Kun je mijn zinnen voor mij verbeteren alstublieft? (Ik vind dit een heerlijke site!)

"Een heerlijke site" is niet fout, maar heerlijk gebruiken we meestal voor dingen die je kunt eten, bijvoorbeeld: "Ik vind deze soep heerlijk" (This soup is delicious).

Voor een site kun je bijvoorbeeld geweldig (great) of fantastisch (fantastic) gebruiken.

Groetjes Joke
Last edited by Joke on February 16th, 2006, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joke
Native speaker & global moderator

Postby Wim » February 16th, 2006, 9:23 am

Hallo Ian, welkom op deze site. Ik zal je zinnen hieronder verbeteren.

Ozzyboy wrote:Hallo, mijn voornaam is Ian. Ik heb in 1985 in Amsterdam in 1985 [eerst tijd, dan plaats] gewoond, dat is heel lang geleden! Ik hou ook van Nederland. Mijn vrouw is een Nederlandse en wij hebben twee kinderen, ze zijn allebei in Australië geboren. Op dit moment wonen wij in Australië maar ik wil een tijdje in Nederland gaan/komen wonen. Dat is niet zo makkelijk hoor! Wij zullen gezinshereniging proberen bij de IND, maar het is heel ingewikkeld en niet zo leuk...

Ik vind Amsterdam spannend en mooi, maar ook vies en overbevolkt. Het is misschien een beetje gevaarlijk voor kinderen in de stad, dus willen we buiten de stad gaan wonen.

Kun je mijn zinnen voor mij verbeteren alsjeblieft? (Ik vind dit een heerlijke site!)

Kleine foutjes heb ik verbeterd in blauw, 'echte' fouten in rood. Zoals je ziet, valt het erg mee. Je Nederlands is eigenlijk best goed. Als je nog meer uitleg wilt hebben bij mijn correcties, vraag er dan maar om. Maar ik denk dat je vrouw het ook wel kan zeggen.

Ik hoop voor jullie dat het allemaal lukt bij de IND, en dat jullie in Nederland kunnen komen wonen.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Wim
Wim
Native speaker & moderator

Second language: English (Great Britain)

Postby Joke » February 16th, 2006, 10:03 am

Now you have two different corrections of your text.
I'm glad I've made almost the same corrections as the expert. ;)
Joke
Native speaker & global moderator

Postby Ozzyboy » February 16th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Joke wrote:Now you have two different corrections of your text.
I'm glad I've made almost the same corrections as the expert. ;)

Hartelijk bedankt Joke en Wim!! Ik vind het heel fijn dat jullie mijn fouten zullen verbeteren, echt waar! Mijn vrouw is in Amsterdam geboren maar zij komt naar Australie (can't do the trema sorry) toen zij een kind van negen jaar was dus haar grammatica enz. is niet zo fantastisch. Zij spreekt nog perfekte nederlands en daroom ben ik een beetje jaloers van haar!

Er is niet een grote kans in Australie voor mij mijn taalkennis te verbeteren (een beetje hetzelfde zoals Koala). Deze site is voor mij heel belangrijk, groetjes Ian.
Ozzyboy
Lid

Country of residence: Australia

Return to Dutch and Flemish culture