RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 24th, 2014, 7:51 pm    

I heard an interesting story. Is it true?

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.

Postby JULIE » February 8th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Hello!

I'm JULIE AND I'VE BEEN STAYING IN THE NETHERLANDS SINCE LAST SEPTEMBER.

ON WEEKDAYS, I WORK UNTIL 5:00. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH CHANCES TO KNOW DUTCH CULTURE. THAT'S WHY I REALLY LIKE THIS SITE!! :lol:

ANYWAY, I OFFTEN VISIT MANY WEBSITES WHICH CAN INFORM ME DUTCH CULTURE.

ONE SITE MENTIONED THAT "WHEN DUTCH STUDENTS PASS THE EXAM, THEY HANG THE DUTCH FLAG AND SCHOOLBAG OUTSIDE THEIR HOUSE".

IS IT TRUE?

IS IT DIFFICULT TO PASS THE EXAM? THIS IS KIND OF CELEBRATION FOR GRADUATION?
WHEN I READ THIS STORY, I WAS VERY INTERESTING TO ME.
PLS. TELL ME YOUR REAL STORY ABOUT ABOVE CUSTOME.
IN MY COUNTRY, I NEVER SEE THIS. THE WAY I SEE IT , THIS PROBABLY ENCOURAGE THE SHCOOL CHILDREAN TO STURY HARD. IF YOU HAVE PICTURES READING TO MY QUESTION, PLS. SHOW ME!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING FOR YOUR REPLY.
JULIE
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: Netherlands

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Postby Bieneke » February 8th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Hi Julie,

It is indeed a Dutch custom, which is still alive. The final exams (secondary school) take place in May so by the end of May or the beginning of June, you may spot a few of those school bags hanging on flag poles. I do not know where or when the tradition started. Perhaps someone else could tell us more about that.
Bieneke
Bieneke
Site Administrator

Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Postby Ome Jorge » February 15th, 2007, 12:15 pm

Een paar fotootjes van het spektakel ...

[edit by Bieneke]OJ, ik heb de foto's onder elkaar geplaatst. De pagina werd anders te breed.[/edit]
Ome Jorge
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Postby Quetzal » February 15th, 2007, 9:27 pm

*lol* Grappig. Nog nooit gezien, zoiets.
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Postby Wim » February 16th, 2007, 1:25 pm

Ook bij mij in de buurt (Den Haag) zie je het vaak in de examentijd. Ik vind het wel een leuke gewoonte.

Wim
Wim
Native speaker & moderator

Second language: English (Great Britain)

Postby Roland » February 18th, 2007, 1:31 am

Didn't do it because right after my last exam my parents and I moved to another city. Would have probably done it though under normal circumstances (and if we had a flag ;)). A lot of Dutch students do so after graduating from high school, often leaving their books in (or out ;)) the backpack to rot in the rain 8).

Heb ik niet gedaan omdat mijn ouders en ik vlak na mijn laatste examen naar een andere stad zijn verhuisd. Had het in normale omstandigheden waarschijnlijk wel gedaan (als we tenminste een vlag hadden gehad ;)). Veel Nederlandse scholieren doen dit nadat ze geslaagd zijn, waarbij vaak de boeken in (of uit ;)) de rugzak blijven om weg te rotten in de regen 8).

Image Image
Roland

Re: I heard an interesting story. Is it true?

Postby Elsje Fiederelsje » February 24th, 2007, 9:32 pm

JULIE wrote:....ONE SITE MENTIONED THAT "WHEN DUTCH STUDENTS  PASS THE EXAM, THEY HANG THE DUTCH FLAG AND SCHOOLBAG OUTSIDE THEIR HOUSE".

IS IT TRUE?

IS IT DIFFICULT TO PASS THE EXAM? THIS IS KIND OF CELEBRATION FOR GRADUATION?
WHEN I READ THIS STORY, I WAS VERY INTERESTING TO ME.
PLS. TELL ME YOUR REAL STORY ABOUT ABOVE CUSTOME.
IN MY COUNTRY, I NEVER SEE THIS. THE WAY I SEE IT , THIS PROBABLY ENCOURAGE THE SHCOOL CHILDREAN TO STURY HARD. IF YOU HAVE PICTURES READING TO MY QUESTION, PLS. SHOW ME!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING FOR YOUR REPLY.

Hi Julie,

This is true. I did that a long time ago the day I found out I had indeed passed my middelbare schoolexamen. I was so happy and proud to be able to show the world I finished school. It was like a reward for a year of hard working. But it is not like your parents keep telling you to work hard so you can put up the flag and schoolbag.

This was in the early nineteen eighties by the way, so it's been around for quite a while. I am not sure where it started though.

We have a funny way of showing the world what's going on in our lives anyway. In the area of the Netherlands where I live people put all sorts of displays in their front yards when a baby has arrived. It will typically involve balloons or flags in blue (boy) or pink (girl) and baby wear hanging from washing lines. Or someone will put up a hughe stork with a baby (doll) in it's beak.

My neighbours were familiar with my interest in witchery so they put up a baby witch on a broomstick in such an inventive way it looked like baby witch had come flying to our house.

When the Dutch soccer team plays in an important tournament you may find yourself driving through neighbourhoods that decorated the entire street in orange flags.

Elsje Fiederelsje
Elsje Fiederelsje

Postby EetSmakelijk » February 24th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Sounds to me like the Dutch really know how to celebrate. ;)
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator

Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)
Second language: French

Postby Jeff » February 25th, 2007, 4:56 am

Baby witch on a broomstick...I like it :)
Jeff
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English

50 jaar

Postby Ome Jorge » February 25th, 2007, 1:50 pm

Voor de liefhebbers van Nederlandse gebruiken kunnen we het in de tuin neerzetten van een pop niet onvermeld laten. Dit gebeurt wanneer iemand de leeftijd van 50 jaar bereikt.

For lovers of Dutch customs, we can't leave unmentioned the placing of an "imitation" of somebody in the garden in front of the house. Most of the times the imitation is in a chair. It concerns a person reaching the age of fifty. Many times it is acompanied with a banner saying like  "Henk 50!!!". Sometimes rhymes as you can see in the last picture. (50 years is our Andre, who gives him a ride with the motorcycle.) (50 jaar is onze Andre, wie neemt hem op de motor mee?)

[edit by Bieneke]OJ, ik heb de foto's onder elkaar geplaatst. De pagina werd anders te breed.[/edit]
Ome Jorge

Postby Marco » March 6th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Ha, brings back memories.  :D

I graduated last year and we had a bag and a flag out, it was really great to do.  :-D

When my dad turned 50 some years ago, we decorated the entire front yard with flags, balloons, and a mini doll. That was also fun to do.  :-D
Marco

Postby cherie7 » March 23rd, 2007, 6:36 pm

That's a nice tradition  :D

we dont have it in Poland :-?  ;)

I am sure, though, i will celebrate when i pass my ( potential) Dutch as a second language exam  :D
cherie7
Lid

Country of residence: Poland
Mother tongue: Polish

Return to Dutch and Flemish culture