Christmas is coming!

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.
Dmreed4311
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Spanish

Re: Christmas is coming!

Post by Dmreed4311 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Please list any links to Dutch Christmas songs, Traditional or new.
putting together a list for my website.
Carpet Doctor inc.
10903 Brucehaven dr
Riverview Fl 33578
813-988-7946

AppelstroopIsLekker
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)
Third language: French
Fourth language: Italian

Re: Christmas are coming!

Post by AppelstroopIsLekker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:19 pm

firefly315 wrote:
daisyD wrote:Hey everyone! :)
I wasn't sure where I should put this topic, but still I hope there will be a lot of posts with the information!
Christmas are really coming! So I want to know:
1. About Christmas traditions in the Netherlands. It seems so interesting for me! What are the traditions from Christmas morning till evening? What are the preparation for Christmas?
2. Also I would like to learn a stave for Christmas! Or a little poem. It would be nice that you reply and write that poem/stave not only in Dutch but also in English.
3. Also I would like to find out expressions and greetings conected to Christmas!

Thank you for everything!
(I'm also searching for good online dutch-english, englisg-dutch dictionary, so if you have something to suggest, please do that!)
Hoi daisyD,

Welkom op het forum!
Welcome to the forum!

1. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the index (main) page, you will see “Studying, NT2, and Inburgering. When you click on the link to that heading, you will see the subforum Dutch and Flemish culture. There are a few topics about Christmas there.
I also pasted the titles of some of the topics in that subforum, which will tell you what a Dutch Christmas is like.
topic 1: Merry Christmas!

topic 2: Why does Sinterklaas come from Spain??

topic 3: Sinterklaas en Sint Maarten Liedjes Gevonden

2. This is a really famous Dutch Sinterklaas lied (song)
Sinterklaas kapoentje,
Gooi wat in mijn schoentje,
Gooi wat in mijn laarsje,
Dank je Sinterklaasje!

Santa Claus ladybird,
Throw something (some stuff) in my shoe,
Throw something (some stuff) in my boot,
Thank you Santa Claus!

3. vrolijk Kerstfeest = Merry Christmas
I’ve also that heard:
Leuke Keerstfeest = Merry Christmas

I'm not sure where you can find a good dutch-english, englisg-dutch dictionary online, but I used bruna.nl to order one --- that site is in Dutch, so use babelfish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) to translate what you need to understand from that website --- but don't use Babelfish to translate everything that's ever in Dutch, just use it when you can't find something in your dictionary --- once you have one.
I had to use babelfish to order my Dutch dictionary more than five years ago, when I started to learn Dutch. That took awhile, but I was so happy that I did it!
Bol.com may be cheaper, but it’s also in Dutch.

On bruna.nl, I bought Kramers Vertaalwoordenboek Nederlands-Engels.
Then, you can buy Kramers Vertaalwoordenboek Engels-Nederlands to get the other half.

I have heard that it is even better to buy a Van Dale, which I have gathered, is what most Dutch people use.

However I think the one I bought is great when you're a beginner and into your intermediate study of Dutch.

Also, on Amazon for between 6 and 10 US Dollars each, I also bought two books: First, 201 Dutch Verbs by Henry R. Stern is so great to get good at conjugating Dutch verbs, and there is a section in the back which just lists a lot of verbs. The first 201 is conjugated in all of the tenses.

The second is also by Henry R. Stern. It’s a grammar grammar book, which is great, too. It’s called: Essential Dutch Grammar.

Groetjes,

Cathleen
I LOVE Essential Dutch Grammar. It has been my bible for the past few years while learning Dutch.

But, in general, coming from a country where Christmas traditions are quite strong, I find Christmas in the lowlands to be quite disappointing and lackluster. When you compare it to Germany or the US or other countries that really go over the top, Christmas doesn't seem so exciting in BE and NL.

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Christmas are coming!

Post by Quetzal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:25 pm

AppelstroopIsLekker wrote:
I LOVE Essential Dutch Grammar. It has been my bible for the past few years while learning Dutch.

But, in general, coming from a country where Christmas traditions are quite strong, I find Christmas in the lowlands to be quite disappointing and lackluster. When you compare it to Germany or the US or other countries that really go over the top, Christmas doesn't seem so exciting in BE and NL.
Quite true, but then that's because those other countries don't have Sinterklaas... Sinterklaas is a bigger deal for children (and to some small extent for adults, especially in the Netherlands) than Christmas, which as a result is a more modest deal than in the US or Germany. Having both of them (plus New Year's Eve/Day) in less than a month time would be a bit much, otherwise.

Dmreed4311
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Second language: Spanish

Post by Dmreed4311 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:52 pm

does any one have any links to dutch christmas songs, i want to put some on my website
Carpet Doctor inc.
10903 Brucehaven dr
Riverview Fl 33578
813-988-7946

DickGrune
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: Hebrew
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Frans
Italiaans

Post by DickGrune » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Quetzal wrote:
AppelstroopIsLekker wrote:
For those who want the nitty gritty details right, there is a (very) short errata list to this booklet on
http://www.dickgrune.com/NatLang/Errata ... _Stern.doc

Fortunately (?) there seems to be only one printing, so your page numbers should match mine.