Sint-Janskruid

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.

Sint-Janskruid

Postby bokassa » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello,

I'll be in NL for a couple of months maybe longer. I would like to ask those who live in NL or Belgium (I'll live close to the border) if it is legal in either countries to buy St John's Wort (Sint-Janskruid) over the counter and if so, if the potency is equivalent to the ones you find in the UK or USA. Somebody told me in mainland Europe the max potency allowed is very low. Of couse I know I can buy it online but I trust more buying it from a regular shop.

Sorry if the question is a bit too technical.
bokassa
Waardevol lid

Re: Sint-Janskruid

Postby Joke » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:32 pm

I know they sell Sint Janskruid over the counter in the Netherlands, but I don't know about the maximal dose. I think you'd best ask in a local pharmacy as soon as you arrive here. Using google, I found that the capsules they sell here typically contain 150-300 mg.
Joke
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Re: Sint-Janskruid

Postby bokassa » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks Joke,

I should have done my homework better. I found a chain that sells them all over the Netherlands.
bokassa
Waardevol lid

Return to Dutch and Flemish culture