RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 18th, 2014, 1:23 am    

Dutch Recipes

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.

Postby Marco » January 3rd, 2006, 7:26 pm

Bieneke wrote:Ik vroeg me al af hoe het met je Filipijnse lief ging. :)

Nou, erm, het is dus alweer dik uit. Ik werd namelijk verliefd op, eh, iemand anders. :oops:

Bieneke wrote:Omdat we over twee dagen weer massaal aan de oliebollen zitten: hier vind je het recept.

Oliebollen, yummie!!! Die MOET je gewoon zelf bakken, anders zijn ze niet te eten. En ik ben natuurlijk 's lands beste oliebollenbakker! 8)
Marco
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Postby cleo199 » August 5th, 2006, 9:52 pm

Hi! I'm new here and found this site while looking up a recipe for Appeltaart. I was in Holland for most of May (stayed in Den Haag) and I've gotta tell you, once you've eaten Appeltaart, you'll never eat apple pie again! I can't remember the store where mom and I went in downtown Den Haag, but they put nuts on top and it was to die for!

The Dutch love croquettes, they even have croquette burgers at McDonalds! They also love Indonesian foods such as Nasi and Bami. And I learned that the Chinese Food in Holland is so much better than the Canadian version. Lumpia's are a meal in themselves. A Lumpia is a super duper king sized version of a Spring Roll. My aunt made me Carrots and Onions (sounds nicer when it's said in Dutch). What it is is, mashed potatoes, carrots and onions. I love it. The Dutch seem to hate it. :lol:

I do agree that the produce is so much less expensive there. And I love that you can buy little bags of potatoes already 1/2 cooked with loads of spices and herbs on them. Just heat up for a few minutes in a pan and they're done.
cleo199
Nieuwkomer

Postby LiefNederland » October 31st, 2006, 6:25 pm

If you're interested in preparing "Stamppot boerenkool", the recipe is the following (but it's only in Dutch and I think an English translation of it is needed):

750 g boerenkool
1kg aardappelen
melk
zout
250 g rookworst
2 el boter
peper

1. Verwijder de harde stelen, was de boerenkool en snijd hem zeer fijn.
2. Doe de geschilde, in stukken gesneden aardappelen met water en een beetje zout in een pan.
3. Doe daarbovenop de boerenkool en de rookworst.
4. Laat 30 minuten zachtjes koken.
5. Haal de rookworst uit de pan, stamp de rest door elkaar met de melk en de boter, zodat het een smeuīg geheel wordt.
6. Voeg naar smaak peper en zout toe.

Eet smakelijk allemaal! :)
groetjes,
LiefNederland

uit "De Nederlandse keuken. Enkele traditionele recepten uit de Nederlandse keuken." uitgegeven door het ministerie van de Buitenlandse Zaken, Voorlichting Buitenland
LiefNederland
I love the Netherlands!
LiefNederland
Waardevol lid

Country of residence: Italy
Mother tongue: Italian

Postby Elsje Fiederelsje » February 24th, 2007, 9:46 pm

cleo199 wrote: My aunt made me Carrots and Onions (sounds nicer when it's said in Dutch).  What it is is, mashed potatoes, carrots and onions.  I love it.  The Dutch seem to hate it.    :lol:

I think you mean hutspot.

It's fairly easy to make once you get the proportions right.  Imagine you proportion the three main ingredients into four equal parts. Then you would need two parts of crumbly potatoes to one part of carrots (winterwortel, that is the big kind you get in winter, rather than the smaller ' bospeen' ) and one part of onions.

Slice and dice the potatoes in large chunks, add onions sliced in rings in a large (soup)pan. Add water so it just covers the lot and add salt. Then cook and leave to cook untill the potatoes are soft (depending on the variety of potato about 20 minutes).  You can add a sausage (rookworst) for the last ten minutes or so.

Then dispose of the water and mash the lot. You may want to add a bit of milk and butter to make it creamier. Add salt, pepper and mace to taste.
If you cooked the sausage you get that out of the pan first, slice into large pieces and add later.

We like it with a bit of gravy that we put in a little whole in the middle of a heap of hutspot on our plate.

Enjoy!

Elsje Fiederelsje
Elsje Fiederelsje

Postby EetSmakelijk » February 24th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Now you all are making me hungry. :P
Groetjes,
ES, S'je, Saartje, of EetSmakelijk
:P
Mijn Esnips account is:
http://www.esnips.com/web/EetSmakelijksDutchStuff
EetSmakelijk
Global moderator