RSS RSS   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   Kwebbelhoekje Chat   View the advanced search options Search   Register Register   Login Login   Exercise Exercise
  Change font size Print view It is currently April 18th, 2014, 9:42 pm    

Koninginnedag

From zure haring en broodje kroket to frieten en pralines. From fietsen and Koninginnedag to schaatsen and de Gentse Feesten. Here, you can ask questions about anything related to the Dutch or Flemish culture or share your experience with others.

Koninginnedag

Postby Joke » April 28th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Tomorrow is koninginnedag, the day we celebrate the birthday of our queen. There are lots of activities in all cities and villages.
I wonder what people from other countries think about the way we celebrate our national day.

Joke

PS Koninginnedag is actually at April 30th, but not when that's a Sunday.
Joke
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Koninginnedag

Sponsor

Do not like ads? Register for free and view this forum without ads.
Sponsor

Postby jen » September 2nd, 2006, 12:40 am

Hi Joke,

I think that celebrating Queen Beatrix's birthday is awesome.

Its a normal thing to do when a head of state is a monarch. Being from Canada there is a day that we celebrate a past Queens birthday. We dont particularly celebrate Queen Elizabeth's birthday in Canada. However, this day is observed and noted in a television program or something to that effect every year. Dont get me wrong, the Queen is amazing but she (Elizabeth) is more of a symbol to Britain than to Canada.

:D

Also a few years back here in Ottawa, we put on a little celebration for a Dutch princess. I am so sorry because I cant recall the name of the princess. (Could it be Margaret? ) I do know the story behind it though. This princess was born in Ottawa technically but there was actual soil from Holland in the room so that she could receive all the royal titles. This was during WWII so the family had to leave Holland for a while to stay safe.

Ever since then Holland sends thousands and thousands of tulip bulbs to Ottawa to show gratitude. With these bulbs, Ottawa is able to put on a smaller version of the Keukenhof. I go to the festival almost every year.

The Netherlands knows how to party !!!!!

Anyways I better end now

Take Care
Jen
NEDERLAND OP WEG NAAR GOUD !!! HUP HOLLAND !!!
jen
Lid

Mother tongue: English

Postby Marco » September 2nd, 2006, 7:49 pm

It was prinses Margriet, yes. :)

Are you a fan of the royals?
Marco
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Postby jen » September 2nd, 2006, 7:58 pm

Abdolutely.....any royals are great!
NEDERLAND OP WEG NAAR GOUD !!! HUP HOLLAND !!!
jen
Lid

Postby Vicky » October 30th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Ever since the Dutch consulate had been opened in my country (Kyrgyzstan) the Koninginnedag has been celebrated where all Dutch people working or being guests in the country are invited. I've been a representative of my daughter who is registered by the consulate as a Dutch citizen on this events. This year she went with me for the first time. It is a pity she cound't speak Dutch. I always wore something orange and my daughter too. It is a nice occasion to meet old and new people there, practice Dutch a little and just have fun.

The Dutch Consul left this year to NL for good. I don't know yet if the new one has been appointed because it is a position of a Honorary Consul. If not than unfortunately we won't have the Koninginnedag next year. :(
Vicky
Superlid

Mother tongue: Kyrgyz
Second language: Russian

Postby cherie7 » March 23rd, 2007, 6:49 pm

I spent Koninginnedag only once in Holland and i really enjoyed it, but i was in a small town so i guess it was different than celebration in Amsterdm or other bigger cities...

The day was really nice ( although the weather was bad), there were people selling things they didnt need anymore, in stalls, i bought some nice stuff :D

and there were also people from other countries dancing their traditional dances...really nice day  :-D

unfortunately i wont be able to be there this year :-( but i hope for the next :-D
cherie7
Lid

Country of residence: Poland
Mother tongue: Polish

Postby Ome Jorge » March 24th, 2007, 12:23 am

Om het nog ingewikkelder te maken het volgende. Beatrix is jarig op 31 januari. 30 april is de verjaardag van onze vorige koningin, dat was Juliana.
Ome Jorge
Moedertaalspreker (native speaker)

Second language: English

Postby kwalijkje » October 13th, 2007, 11:02 am

It's been quite a while since Koninginnedag, but I was in Amsterdam for it this year.
I noticed on previous visits to Holland that the day before Koninginnnedag there are lots of people in the street with chalk and duc-tape marking spots for stalls. It never occurred to me that so many stalls can be squeezed in to such narrow streets.
But this year I wanted to try a bit of social experimentation. Me and a friend went out with tape and marked our own spot on the ground. We then went out parting, overslept and missed the first half of Koninginnedag, but I was amazed to find my space was still there. There were stalls pressed in as close as they could go to this space, but it was still there.
So we spread out a blanket and partied on the street. So many people joined us. It was like having a picnic in Vondel Park. With more music and more people.
Boy, the Dutch know how to celebrate. It was one of the best holiday/festivals I've been too.
kwalijkje
Superlid

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Second language: Dutch

Re: Koninginnedag

Postby Charlieee » January 19th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Koninginnedag sounds great! Its nice that the Dutch people still celebrate their monarchy in this way (not that I am a huge fan of royalty). Its strange that over here in the UK where we have probably the most famous and well known royal family in the world, we don't have any days to celebrate them. Not even a bank holiday on the Queen's official birthday! Its a shame that, but I can understand as a lot of people don't take to the monarchy any more.
What is the view of the majority of the Dutch population towards their royal family? I remember reading somewhere that when Queen Juliana stepped down, there were riots in the Netherlands from people who wanted the royal family abolished. Is that true? Do people still feel that way now?
Charlieee
Nieuwkomer

Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)
Second language: French

Re: Koninginnedag

Postby Quetzal » January 19th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Charlieee wrote:Koninginnedag sounds great! Its nice that the Dutch people still celebrate their monarchy in this way (not that I am a huge fan of royalty). Its strange that over here in the UK where we have probably the most famous and well known royal family in the world, we don't have any days to celebrate them. Not even a bank holiday on the Queen's official birthday! Its a shame that, but I can understand as a lot of people don't take to the monarchy any more.
What is the view of the majority of the Dutch population towards their royal family? I remember reading somewhere that when Queen Juliana stepped down, there were riots in the Netherlands from people who wanted the royal family abolished. Is that true? Do people still feel that way now?

Like in any monarchy, there are some who prefer a republic. But since Juliana and Beatrix were/are great queens, and Willem-Alexander and his wife seem rather promising as well, on the whole the Dutch monarchy is still fairly popular. Although there has been some debate about whether they should evolve to a Swedish model where the king/queen really has no power at all anymore (as opposed to the current situation in which the queen is still a member of the government). Same debate in Belgium, except we're rather less fond of either our king or the heir-apparent... and so the republican faction probably has a bit more popularity.

I'm sure our actual Dutch members will have more to say on this, though.
Quetzal
Native speaker & global moderator

Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Return to Dutch and Flemish culture