Kan je me helpen - regels van de taal

Als je al wat beter Nederlands kunt schrijven, dan is dit jouw hoekje. Een gevorderde kan bijvoorbeeld: 1. langere (complexe) zinnen maken, 2. werkwoorden in diverse tijden vervoegen en 3. over moeilijkere onderwerpen schrijven.
Forum rules
When correcting Dutch texts, (most) vraagbaken use a colour code to distinguish between different types of mistakes. See also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=753&p=5506#p5506
Shazzy
Superlid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Kan je me helpen - regels van de taal

Post by Shazzy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Hoi
Ik hoop dat je kunnen me helpen!
I had this exercise below in my studies and I do not understand what they are getting at. I did have a go at it but it was purely by guessing rather than knowing :( I did get 3 out of 5 correct =D>
What I really would like to know is what are they getting at. If I was to be given the word "kat" I would know that belongs to the "dieren familie" but by looking in the dictionary as they suggested it was no help to me at all as most of this words were not nouns. Can anyone help me to understand this please?

Bedankt
Shazzy

PS: In simple language please......

REGELS VAN DE TAAL
Oefening 1
Lees de woorden on kijk in het pocketwoordenboek NT2. Horen de woorden bij één familie?

1 de durf - durven
2 de moetie - motiveren
3 liefhebben - de liefhebber
4 relatief - relativeren
5 het ven - het venijn

ngonyama
Superlid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch, Xhosa

Re: Kan je me helpen - regels van de taal

Post by ngonyama » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:48 am

Shazzy wrote:Hoi
Ik hoop dat je kunnen me helpen!
I had this exercise below in my studies and I do not understand what they are getting at. I did have a go at it but it was purely by guessing rather than knowing :( I did get 3 out of 5 correct =D>
What I really would like to know is what are they getting at. If I was to be given the word "kat" I would know that belongs to the "dieren familie" but by looking in the dictionary as they suggested it was no help to me at all as most of this words were not nouns. Can anyone help me to understand this please?

Bedankt
Shazzy

PS: In simple language please......

REGELS VAN DE TAAL
Oefening 1
Lees de woorden onof kijk in het pocketwoordenboek NT2. Horen de woorden bij één familie?

1 de durf - durven
2 de moetie - motiveren
3 liefhebben - de liefhebber
4 relatief - relativeren
5 het ven - het venijn
I have no idea what exactly they mean by "één familie". Whether two words are related by etymology?
De durf is a nomen actionis of durven, so yes they are related. Moeite and motiveren are not related. Liefhebber is a nomen agentis of liefhebben. Relativeren is derived from relatief. Ven en venijn have no relation that I know of.

But whether that is what they mean is a different matter

Shazzy
Superlid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch

Post by Shazzy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Bedankt Ngonyama

Your explanations match the answers so thanks for this. A stupid exercise though I think. I think they are trying to get us to use the dictionary and maybe recognise words that belong to each other.

Shazzy :D

Amin
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Mother tongue: Berber
Second language: Moroccan
Third language: Arabic
Fourth language: French
Fifth language: English
Sixth language: Dutch (Flanders) = the language I use everyday.

Post by Amin » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Een voorbeeld voor "1. de durf - durven".
Woordenboek gebruik om na te gaan of de durf iets te maken heeft met het werkwoord durven. In dit geval ja.
Durven betekent de moed hebben; en de durf is een ander woord voor moed.