Koomt (gij, ge)

"Wablief" of "Wat zegt u", "zeker en vast" of "vast en zeker"? Vlaams en Hollands zijn beide Nederlands en toch zijn er veel verschillen. Dit is het forum waar je vragen kunt stellen over het Vlaams.
Post Reply
nyong
Lid
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 am
Country of residence: Germany
Second language: German

Koomt (gij, ge)

Post by nyong » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:57 am

Hi!

Following the explanation Grytolle wonderfully gave (gij: plural stem +t), do you actually hear/say koomt ge?
Grytolle wrote: Gij-forms generally uses a plural stem, which is completely logical, since gij used to be a plural:
kunnen => kun-nen -> kunt
evilbu wrote: "je was"-->"ge waart"
"je zou"-->"ge zoudt"
"je werd"-->"ge werdt"
"je had"--->"ge hadt"
The obvious conclusion, the forms (almost) always end in -t. Also note that they are all made out of plural stems: (zouden, waren, werden, hadden + t)
Groetjes

nyong
Lid
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 am
Country of residence: Germany
Second language: German

Re: Koomt (gij, ge)

Post by nyong » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:39 am

I found out that you actually say gij koomt. Same thing with gij moogt.
Groetjes

nyong
Lid
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 am
Country of residence: Germany
Second language: German

Koomt!

Post by nyong » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 am

How about the imperative?

Do you say "Koomt!" in Belgium?

Grytolle
Superlid
Posts: 1390
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 pm
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German
Gender: Male

Re: Koomt (gij, ge)

Post by Grytolle » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:42 pm

nyong wrote:I found out that you actually say gij koomt. Same thing with gij moogt.
Groetjes
It's always "gij moogd", "gij mag" or "gij magd" is never heard... a common dialectal form is "gij moo(d)" (moode gij), where the -g- has been syncopated. Many dialects have "eu" instead of "oo"

"gij koomd" would be a new form to me, but I suppose it doesn't seem illogical... I don't know how widespread it is, but Antwerpian has this conjugation in the present tense: ik koom, gij komd, hij komd; wij kome(n), golle komd, zun kome(n)

The imperative is always the same as the gij-form, but the t/d can be omitted... My guess is a combination of standard language influence and the fact that all East-Flemish (and perhaps some West-Flemish?) dialects only pronounce the verb ending when no consonant follows: "gij moog binnen", "gij moogd", "gij moogd altijd binnen"
:-)

User avatar
heerMat
Superlid
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 pm
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Location: Gent

Re: Koomt (gij, ge)

Post by heerMat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:43 pm

In written language - if ever you would actually write the gij-form - "gij koomt" is the right form. In spoken language however, "gij komt" is the norm. This is quite odd indeed, because in the paradigm of a verb like mogen, "gij moogt" is both written and spoken.

As to the imperative, always "Kom!" is used in Flanders. Sometimes you may hear an imperative on -t:

"Koopt u eens een nieuwe broek"
litt.: Buy yourself once a new pair-of-trousers

"Neemt die boeken mee"
litt.: Take those books along.

But don't you worry, the amount of Dutch verbs where sg. has short stems, and pl. long ones in OTT (or OVT) is not that high!
"Constantijnt je, ’t zaligh kijntje, Cherubijnt je, van om hoogh
D’ydelheden, hier beneden, uitlacht met een lodderoogh." (Vondel)

nyong
Lid
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 am
Country of residence: Germany
Second language: German

Re: Koomt (gij, ge)

Post by nyong » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:28 am

Bedankt guys!
Grytolle wrote:"gij koomd" would be a new form to me, but I suppose it doesn't seem illogical... I don't know how widespread it is, but Antwerpian has this conjugation in the present tense: ik koom, gij komd, hij komd; wij kome(n), golle komd, zun kome(n)
Ik koom? Is it a typo?

Grytolle
Superlid
Posts: 1390
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 pm
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German
Gender: Male

Re: Koomt (gij, ge)

Post by Grytolle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:35 am

nyong wrote:Bedankt guys!
Grytolle wrote:"gij koomd" would be a new form to me, but I suppose it doesn't seem illogical... I don't know how widespread it is, but Antwerpian has this conjugation in the present tense: ik koom, gij komd, hij komd; wij kome(n), golle komd, zun kome(n)
Ik koom? Is it a typo?
no
:-)

Post Reply