to pass (the ball) to somebody

[woordenschat]
How do you say daddy-long-legs in Dutch? How many ways are there to say "thank you" or "you're welcome"? Post everything about vocabulary here.
Erik
Superlid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch (Netherlands)

to pass (the ball) to somebody

Post by Erik » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:22 pm

I know for " to pass (the ball) to somebody"
1)de bal toespelen op iemand
2) de bal afgeven op iemand. Are these correct?

Example: (Voorbeeld:)
He passed (the ball) to his teammate. =
1) Hij speelde (de bal) op zijn medespeler toe.
2) Hij gaf (de bal) op zijn medespeler af.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: to pass (the ball) to somebody

Post by Quetzal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Erik wrote:I know for " to pass (the ball) to somebody"
1)de bal toespelen op iemand
2) de bal afgeven op iemand. Are these correct?

Example: (Voorbeeld:)
He passed (the ball) to his teammate. =
1) Hij speelde (de bal) op zijn medespeler toe.
2) Hij gaf (de bal) op zijn medespeler af.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
I find both of those rather odd. "Afgeven aan" is possible (and in much more general contexts than just football), but I'm not sure I've ever heard "afgeven op", nor "toespelen op" (or anything involving "toespelen" in a football context).

The most normal verb, honestly, is simply the loanword from English: "passen" (can be pronounced either the English way or the Dutch way, but the official conjugation is "passt", which would suggest the official pronunciation should be the English one as well).

andreengels
Superlid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German

Re: to pass (the ball) to somebody

Post by andreengels » Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Quetzal wrote: I find both of those rather odd. "Afgeven aan" is possible (and in much more general contexts than just football), but I'm not sure I've ever heard "afgeven op", nor "toespelen op" (or anything involving "toespelen" in a football context).
Actually "afgeven op" does exist but it means something completely different... I also doubt whether "afgeven aan" would really apply - when I see that "(Speler 1) geeft de bal af aan (speler 2)" the impression I get is that they are of different teams, and that speler 1 rather clumsily lost the ball to speler 2. "Overgeven aan" would be more apt for "to pass to".
The most normal verb, honestly, is simply the loanword from English: "passen" (can be pronounced either the English way or the Dutch way, but the official conjugation is "passt", which would suggest the official pronunciation should be the English one as well).
The combination in that case is "passen naar". One can also use "spelen naar", "overspelen naar".