Solar energy?

[woordenschat]
How do you say daddy-long-legs in Dutch? How many ways are there to say "thank you" or "you're welcome"? Post everything about vocabulary here.
Fria

Solar energy?

Post by Fria » Fri May 13, 2011 1:36 pm

I know it's zonneenergie, or zonne-energie.
Google leans into the direction of writing it together, but it's still quite even .. hoe schrijven het jullie, met of zonder klein strepje???
EDIT: http://woordenlijst.org/ does it with klein strepje, and I guess that's the authority :wink:
Dank je wel!

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Re: Solar energy?

Post by Bert » Fri May 13, 2011 2:06 pm

I have found 2 further reliable sources for zonne-energie so if I were you I would write this word with a streepje. :)

Fria

Post by Fria » Fri May 13, 2011 2:53 pm

Thx! I generally prefer using the streepje whenever I can, but that's just my personal taste, so I wanted some second opinions ;) LOL

Joke
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Post by Joke » Fri May 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes, writing it with a streepje is correct: zonne-energie.
In principle, we write all nouns that consist of two other nouns always together without spaces or dashes.
But here we have a special case.
Because zonne ends with an e and energie starts with an e, combining them would lead to the combination ee, a vowel combination that has a special pronunciation in Dutch. Because we want the e from zonne and the e from energie to stay separated from each other instead of merging in one single ee, we write a streepje hier.

Fria

Post by Fria » Fri May 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Right! Good to know, I've been thinking before, how to read it in the no streepje version, just b/c of -ee- in there :!:

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Fri May 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Fria wrote:Right! Good to know, I've been thinking before, how to read it in the no streepje version, just b/c of -ee- in there :!:
It used to be spelled, like other words in that category, "zonneënergie", but some of our recent spelling reforms have replaced the trema by the "liggend streepje" (yes, awesome name :P ) in many such cases. When you see "zonneenergie", you have to think of it as people writing "zonneënergie" (which imho is valid enough, we've had so many spelling reforms that I think people should have the option to ignore the lot of them), but being too lazy to use the trema.

Fria

Post by Fria » Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Yeah, forgot about the ë ... and I've heard of those spelling reforms, too ... usually I try to learn the newest ones LOLL

Is liggend streepje this: _ ???

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Fri May 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Fria wrote:Yeah, forgot about the ë ... and I've heard of those spelling reforms, too ... usually I try to learn the newest ones LOLL

Is liggend streepje this: _ ???
Nah, -, as in zonne-energie. It's just called "liggend" because, you know, it's on its side. But "streepje" generally refers to the same thing, true.

Joke
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Post by Joke » Sat May 14, 2011 10:39 am

I think the official word for - is 'koppelteken'.
_ is usually called 'laag streepje'.

loise15
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Australia
Mother tongue: English (Australia)
Second language: Armenian

Post by loise15 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Joke wrote:
Fri May 13, 2011 6:44 pm
Yes, writing it with a streepje is correct: zonne-energie.
In principle, we write all nouns that consist of two other nouns always together without spaces or dashes.
But here we have a special case of solar energy and energie starts with an e, combining them would lead to the combination ee, a vowel combination that has a special pronunciation in Dutch. Because we want the e from zonne and the e from energie to stay separated from each other instead of merging in one single ee, we write a streepje hier.
Hello,

Solar energy is a free, inexhaustible resource, yet harnessing it is a relatively new idea. The ability to use solar power for heat was the first discovery. A Swiss scientist, Horace de Saussure, built the first thermal solar collector in 1767, which was later used to heat water and cook food. The first commercial patent for a solar water heater went to Clarence Kemp of the US in 1891. This system was bought by two California executives and installed in one-third of the homes in Pasadena by 1897.