Need Meaning of Dutch Word

[woordenschat]
How do you say daddy-long-legs in Dutch? How many ways are there to say "thank you" or "you're welcome"? Post everything about vocabulary here.
SaraM
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Need Meaning of Dutch Word

Post by SaraM » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Hello all!

Can someone provide me with the meaning of the word "goshemikke" and how it used? Hope it's not a cuss word!

Thanks so much!

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Re: Need Meaning of Dutch Word

Post by BrutallyFrank » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:24 pm

It actually IS a cuss word! Although the official word would be 'gossiemijne'. Translated it would be something like 'chucks'. It usually expresses some kind of amazement.

It's used as a interjection (tussenwerpsel). Example: "Gossiemikkie, ineens is die arm helemaal genezen." (Why shucks, the arm's all healed now.)

Where it really comes from, I couldn't find (for now). I guess the 'gossie-'part comes from 'God zie' (God see). I can imagine it being a bastardization of "God zie mij nou" (God look at me now). Mostly used around Amsterdam, could even be local slang, Bargoens. May even have some roots in Jiddisch (wouldn't be surprised).
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)

SaraM
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)

Post by SaraM » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 pm

Okay so to understand clearly:

(1) The word should be spelled "Gossiemikkie" and not "goshemikke".
(2) It's a slang word indicating amazement or surprise. But not actually a cuss word as we know cuss words in English as for example (a four letter word).

Is this correct? Thanks so much!

BrutallyFrank
Global moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French

Post by BrutallyFrank » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:13 am

SaraM wrote:Okay so to understand clearly:

(1) The word should be spelled "Gossiemikkie" and not "goshemikke".
(2) It's a slang word indicating amazement or surprise. But not actually a cuss word as we know cuss words in English as for example (a four letter word).

Is this correct? Thanks so much!
1. The woordenlijst (wordlist) of 'het Groene Boekje' (the little green booklet = 'official' spelling) does know 'gossiemijne', not 'gossiemikkie' .... although many people will know the word. Maybe I'm way out of line, but with me speaking a Dutch dialect which is influenced heavily by German I seem to recognize a German version of this 'gossiemijne': Gott sehe mich ...

Goshemikke might be just as right as gossiemikkie ... because it's more of a spoken word than an official Dutch word, there will be so many ways to write it. I'm still not inclined to use the word Onomatopoeia ... but I guess it comes quite close.

2. I think that amazement or surprise covers it. Not a real cuss word the way you mention. I think it's more like a cuss word that changed a bit ... like the word 'shit' that became 'shite' .... still the same meaning, but with a different pronounciation it only seems less offensive.

Even though I have to explain this by using some cuss words, I do apologize for having to use them .... I'm 'brutally frank', not 'rude frank'! :wink:
"Moenie worrie nie, alles sal reg kom" (maar hy het nie gesê wanneer nie!)