New Routledge NL-EN/EN-NL Dictionary

Recommendations and opinions of books, dictionaries, programs, movies, shows, comedy, video players (region issues), music, websites, courses, where to buy Dutch stuff if you don't live there, etc.
tslipscomb
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: French

New Routledge NL-EN/EN-NL Dictionary

Post by tslipscomb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:46 pm

Has any used or is using this dictionary?

I'm a beginner, and need something similar to the french 'Collins Robert College Dictionary' ... This looked appropriate, especially for the price, And I liked how it showed the noun gender... I know it's not a Van Dale, but...

What are your thoughts?

Grytolle
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German

Re: New Routledge NL-EN/EN-NL Dictionary

Post by Grytolle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Depending on how much you care, you could check out those things:
1) Does it list idiomatic expressions?
2) Does it make a distinction between masculine and feminine nouns?
3) Does it show you how to conjugate verbs? Look up for example "drinken", which has a strong conjugation (drinken, dronk, heeft gedronken)
4) Does it show plural-forms of nouns? You will often want to put nouns in plural form afterall.

Edit:
Oh, and no, unfortunately I have never used it. I use electronic Vandale English-Dutch and Dutch-English (it's really good). And sometimes I use Swedish-Dutch/Dutch-Swedish Vandale, which I have in book form.
:-)

Grytolle
Superlid

Post by Grytolle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:55 pm

On second thought, you can always look up gender and plural-form online... but then again, then you need to be by your computer when you study, which isn't always possible in the summer :P That it lists idioms remains quite important though, and what prepositions that go with verbs. For example it should say that it's "bij iets aansluiten", because you can't really know that by instinct, being a non-native.

Keep in mind that looking words up in books is quite time-consuming, so it could be a good idea to find an electronic dictionary too. There are some quite good free ones, but I have yet to see one which beats Vandale's CD-rom.

Sullivan
Waardevol lid

Post by Sullivan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:56 pm

Yes I use the Routledge dictionary. I think it's quite good. I can't remember how much it was... around €20 or so. It has idiomatic expressions, gender etc although the less I use the dictionary (ie. the better I get at Dutch), the more useful the idiomatic usages become.

I tend to use the freebie P1 Vetaalwoordenboek on my laptop more often than the paper Routledge dictionary. It's not quite complete but it does give gender, past tenses for verbs and also a handful of typical and not so typical usages for different words. The only problem with dictionaries like this it is often impossible to figure out how to translate idioms from your own moedertaal into the Dutch. But for this time we will see it through the fingers eh (if you know what I mean). ;)

I'm considering purchasing a book of commonly used idioms with explanations. Van Dale I believe publishes such a thing.
Dat is te flauw voor ons.

Grytolle
Superlid

Post by Grytolle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:59 pm

Sullivan wrote:It has idiomatic expressions, gender etc although the less I use the dictionary (ie. the better I get at Dutch), the more useful the idiomatic usages become.
Then it seems to be a good enough buy!^^
Sullivan wrote:I tend to use the freebie P1 Vetaalwoordenboek on my laptop more often than the paper Routledge dictionary.
Where can I get a hold of that? :-D
Sullivan wrote:I'm considering purchasing a book of commonly used idioms with explanations. Van Dale I believe publishes such a thing.
They do indeed. I'd have bought it already, were I not so poor!

Sullivan
Waardevol lid

Post by Sullivan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Grytolle
Superlid

Post by Grytolle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks. Trying it out^^

Snoezig
Editor & titelmoderator
Mother tongue: English
Second language: German

Post by Snoezig » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:52 pm

tslipscomb wrote:Has any used or is using this dictionary?

I'm a beginner, and need something similar to the french 'Collins Robert College Dictionary' ... This looked appropriate, especially for the price, And I liked how it showed the noun gender... I know it's not a Van Dale, but...

What are your thoughts?
Well... I have this very dictionary, and as a matter of fact, it appears to be more of a Van Dale than the title would indicate:

"First published 2001 by Van Dale Lexicografie bv as Ster Woordenboek Engels-Nederlands/Nederlands-Engels ... (c)2003 Van Dale Lexicografie bv, Utrecht-Antwerpen"

:-D Snoezig

Sullivan
Waardevol lid

Post by Sullivan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Well spotted Snoezig!

tslipscomb
Lid
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: French

Post by tslipscomb » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:40 pm

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for all of your comments, etc!!

You gave me some good points to look into, as well as some great info on the dictionary itself.

Cool to see it was put out by Van Dale. That gives me a lot more confidence in buying it as opposed to another (just from what I've heard about VD)...

Thomas