Nederlands voor buitenlanders - Delftse Methode

Recommendations and opinions of books, dictionaries, programs, movies, shows, comedy, video players (region issues), music, websites, courses, where to buy Dutch stuff if you don't live there, etc.
Daisy
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Nederlands voor buitenlanders - Delftse Methode

Post by Daisy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Looking for feedback on the above learning software/book and audio cd's. I started this course 5 months ago and I am only on lesson 10 of 45. The course is okay I guess but I feel I should be learning much quicker. The learning software is very very basic, the audio cd's well they tend to speak too fast for me to understand and there is no option to hear single words only the whole sentence in the software. The lesson book, the grammar explained is in dutch only so it won't be of benefit to me until I reach lesson 45. This course is expensive 400+ euros for a year, and for this kind of money I expected better things from the NTI.

Before I moved to Holland I bought "learn dutch now"software cd for only 30 quid and would recommend this to anyone as its a fun way learning about holland as well as many fun learning games, video clips and speech and grammar practice. http://www.transparent.com

Geree
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Hungary

Hi Daisy!

Post by Geree » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:11 am

I know the software you mentioned. I found it good, but I have only the free version of it, which contains only a few words. I'm a student, and have no money to afford the full version. I know it's a shame for me, but is there any way to get a copy of your CD, or get the full version for free somehow? If you think you can help me in this, then please e-mail me. If you can't (or don't want) then reply me in the forum.

Sorry for requesting a thing like this, but I have no choice, if I think of my financial status.

Thanx for spending some time to read my message.

:wink:

Daisy
Waardevol lid

learn dutch now software

Post by Daisy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:18 pm

Sorry, I cannot supply you with a copy of the above software, maybe try an auction site such as ebay and see if you can bid for it there, you never know you might end up with a bargain :-)

Geree
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Hungary

Post by Geree » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:26 pm

Yes I perfectly understand it. I will search for it somewhere. Anyway thanx for the help. :)

mabing
Nieuwkomer

Nederlandse voor buitenlanders

Post by mabing » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:44 pm

I've been using the two books and CD since January and am on lesson 27, with about a month or so off - one two hour lesson per week. It's as good as any other's I've looked at, but I find the subject matter somewhat 'preachy' - seems to be geared towards immigrants (and how to behave/how things 'are'). But, I have a good teacher too. Having studied my other languages (Japanese and Spanish) in a 'traditional' way, I definitely miss the explanation of grammer in the course, but get that from other books.
Mark

Anja
Nieuwkomer

Post by Anja » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:41 am

I began to learn Dutch with the Delfste Methode with a teacher. Well, the point of this methode is to broaden your vocabulary. The bad thing is that it doesn't really teach you well how to use this vocabulary. So, you kinda know the meaning of the words, but you still can't talk really well. So, after some time, I decided that it's not important to know many words, but it's important to be able to talk and to construct phrases with enough (maybe not so much) words. So I'm taking another couse now, which is Taal Vitaal... it's very different approach, where the grammer is the strongest point.

Success!

Daisy
Waardevol lid

thanks

Post by Daisy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:57 am

Thank you all for further comments about the course I am doing, it makes me feel so much better. I will definately look into another course that is for sure as I make a dutch sentence correctly at all.

bedankt

Daisy :lol:

Daniel Robles
Lid

Prima

Post by Daniel Robles » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:10 pm

I study too by Delfse methode, and I think is very good...
now I am in the les 20, +/- 1 month class...Ik can speak smalls conversations and understaad a lot....
in the university of DELFT, the studens have alone 3 weeks for de 45 less..
that is so fast!!! but working!!!

zo is het goed!!! proberen!!!

succes

tot ziens

D

P.D. sorry for my english, but is for study the Dutch

iandominicp77
Waardevol lid

It's good to know....

Post by iandominicp77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:59 pm

:P Hoi!!!!

Very nice to know that many are trying to learn dutch....

Succes dames en heren op de site!!!

Ian
Veel succes met nederlands leren!!!

adelaar
Lid

Post by adelaar » Sat May 19, 2007 2:23 pm

I have borrowed this course in addition to another one ("Colloquial Dutch") that I bought. I felt that I want both grammar and vocabulary, we're all different so I guess the best thing is to find out yourself what works or not.

/Adelaar

Kyriaki
Lid

Post by Kyriaki » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:04 pm

I bought "De Delftse Methode" for a course I was going to take, but then it turned out that I was already too far ahead from studying on my own and had to wait for level 2 instead.  Just to make sure I would know the same things as everybody else in level 2, I used the book/CDs for more self-study.

I think "De Delftse Methode" is a actually quite a good book for self-study, IF you've already spent some time (a few weeks at least) on the basic dutch conversation phrases that you can get from many free learn-Dutch websites (http://www.taalthuis.com, http://homepage.mac.com/schuffelen/vocabulary.html, http://www.learndutch.org, http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~kl044/tmain.htm, and http://dutchlanguage.rietvink.com/, among others) and IF you use it in conjunction with a certain really good dutch grammar website we all know, because yes, the grammar explanations in the book are pretty much non-existent.  

The subject matter is indeed very preachy, aimed at immigrants, particularly those from non-western countries.  If you just take it as an interesting insight into Dutch attitudes about immigration, laugh at the bits that go way too far into how-a-"modern"-society-should-be, and just be thankful that you're not one of the immigrants from a place so different that you need to be told what an ATM-machine is, then it's not a problem, I think.

The introduction recommends that you listen/read the texts several times, until you've practically memorised them.  I rolled my eyes, sighed, and then suffered through actually doing what they suggested.  I must say it did help; I'm still using sentence constructions and short phrases that are borrowed from some of those texts.

In the software I had, you could hear the words spoken out individually - I don't know if I had a different version, or what.

ricsdix
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: United States

Re: Nederlands voor buitenlanders - Delftse Methode

Post by ricsdix » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:08 pm

I know that learning software but i think i don't have any copy of that software though....