Dutch subtitles

Recommendations and opinions of books, dictionaries, programs, movies, shows, comedy, video players (region issues), music, websites, courses, where to buy Dutch stuff if you don't live there, etc.
Niki
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Dutch subtitles

Post by Niki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:18 am

I have been looking at the Dutch website http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/ for Dutch television. But there is one thing I do not understand - it seems like in some places the program should have subtitles (ondertitels), but when you click into a specific episode, it says "geen ondertiteling".

Here is an example, in the Zapp section:
http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/programm ... -de-oorlog

The show (13-in-de-oorlog) says the following:
"Na de oorlog (zo 22 mei 2011, 18:15) T" for the latest episode.

If you look at the "T" it says: "deze aflevering is TT888 ondertiteld"

However, when you click into that particular episode and look at the "T" in the lower right, it says "geen ondertiteling".

Am I missing something? Is there an easy way to figure out what shows have ondertitels without clicking into each one? Or can anyone recommend some shows in the Zapp section which have ondertitels? Thank you!

My apologies for the English. I will get to the Beginnershoekje soon...

andreengels
Superlid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German

Re: Dutch subtitles

Post by andreengels » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 am

Some explanation can be found at http://help.publiekeomroep.nl/faqs/onde ... ing-gemist, but it doesn't seem to apply to this case. It says the subtitles are not being used for live programs (because those subtitles have been created 'on the fly' and because of that are of bad quality), and that sometimes it takes a while before the subtitles are being included (because they are being checked first). However, neither explanation seems to apply to the program you mention, and I also think it strange that they would have the subtitle symbol with the program in such a case.

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Niki wrote:If you look at the "T" it says: "deze aflevering is TT888 ondertiteld"

However, when you click into that particular episode and look at the "T" in the lower right, it says "geen ondertiteling".

Am I missing something?
Well, "deze aflevering is TT888 ondertiteld" means that you can find the sorely missed Dutch subtitles of that particular epsiode on page 888 of the teletext.

Niki
Lid

Post by Niki » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 am

andreengels wrote:Some explanation can be found at http://help.publiekeomroep.nl/faqs/onde ... ing-gemist, but it doesn't seem to apply to this case. ...
dank u wel, andreengels. I bookmarked the link - it looks very helpful!
Bert wrote:Well, "deze aflevering is TT888 ondertiteld" means that you can find the sorely missed Dutch subtitles of that particular epsiode on page 888 of the teletext.
Ahh, teletext. That explains a lot, dank u wel ook!

RichWes
Waardevol lid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English

Post by RichWes » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey Niki,

Unfortunately, not every program be subtitled in uitzendinggemist.nl (during broadcasting on tv the subtitels are possible at teletext, but this information has no relevance for you). From the most populair programs (and the programs that be latest broadcasted) - without the restrictions that you already got, are usually subtitels available at uitzendinggemist.nl. Whitin the Zapp selection (children programs for 6 untill 15 year) be that for example:
* 'Het klokhuis' (an educational program about all kind of subjects mixed with small satirical sketches about that subject - sometimes very funny :wink:)
* 'Spangas' (a daily soap for children that takes place at a secondary school) - by the way the word 'Spangas' is coined.
* 'Freek op Safari' (a safari program for children which is presented by a very energetic and engaging biologist).
* 'Dokument junior' (a documentary series about serious subjects that children able to experience/get along with one [I don't know how you say that in English] - not only misery by the way).
* 'Puberruil Z@pp' (a program in which two teenagers turn over their lifes for two weeks).

And there a lot of other programs with the subtitels option (look to programs with a lot of episodes and to programs that be newest broadcasted).

Good luck on learning Dutch!

Regards,

Richard

Niki
Lid

Post by Niki » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:26 am

Bedankt, Richard. I am watching Het Klokhuis now! I bookmarked this thread for the other options you provided.

Dave114
Lid
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)

Post by Dave114 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 am

Given that the news broadcasts on Uitzendinggemist don't seem to have subtitles actually working, are there any other Dutch news broadcasts that have subtitles available?