"Language Immersion" voor Chrome - is het waard de tijd?

Recommendations and opinions of books, dictionaries, programs, movies, shows, comedy, video players (region issues), music, websites, courses, where to buy Dutch stuff if you don't live there, etc.
Dave114
Lid
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)

"Language Immersion" voor Chrome - is het waard de tijd?

Post by Dave114 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:18 am

A few days ago I came across Language Immersion for Google Chrome which allows you to select a level of fluency and, based on that, it'll partially translate webpages into the selected language for you (and allow you to restore the original language of a portion by clicking on it).

I'm curious if anyone is using this and / or would care to comment on it.

Given that the translations are done by machine, is Google Translate reasonable enough with Dutch for this to be usable for learning purposes, or could it be counterproductive?

Is it even a good idea to by mixing together Dutch and (in my case) English or, at least until I'm more fluent, would I be better off sticking to either all-Dutch or all-English at a given point in time to avoid confusion? (Here this would be a way to mix in a bit of Dutch throughout the rest of the day).

AppelstroopIsLekker
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)
Third language: French
Fourth language: Italian

Re: "Language Immersion" voor Chrome - is het waard de tijd?

Post by AppelstroopIsLekker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am

Hmm... that is a really cool idea, actually. I use google translate quite a bit and must say that while it's one of the best, it's still not very good. For some reason, it does really poorly at everyday language and grammar but really well at highly specific, even technical, vocabularly.

Give it a shot. If you have no knowledge of the language at all, it can only help as long as you don't do it too long, I guess!

Goodluck!

Just a tip, in Dutch we say "is het de tijd waard?" A related expression is "is it worth the effort" which translates as "is het de moeite waard?" or simply "is het de moeite?" But, I think the last one might only be said in Flanders.

Joke
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russisch (in progress...)

Post by Joke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:37 pm

AppelstroopIsLekker wrote:Just a tip, in Dutch we say "is het de tijd waard?" A related expression is "is it worth the effort" which translates as "is het de moeite waard?" or simply "is het de moeite?" But, I think the last one might only be said in Flanders.
You can also say that in the Netherlands.

Dave114
Lid
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)

Post by Dave114 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 am

AppelstroopIsLekker wrote:Just a tip, in Dutch we say "is het de tijd waard?" A related expression is "is it worth the effort" which translates as "is het de moeite waard?" or simply "is het de moeite?" But, I think the last one might only be said in Flanders.
Thanks for the advice! I've definitely got a long way to go figuring out Dutch grammar, but I suppose that explains why I'm at a site like this one.

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Quetzal » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:59 am

AppelstroopIsLekker wrote:Hmm... that is a really cool idea, actually. I use google translate quite a bit and must say that while it's one of the best, it's still not very good. For some reason, it does really poorly at everyday language and grammar but really well at highly specific, even technical, vocabularly.
I agree, but that's quite logical. Google Translate, as I understand it, works by comparing different language versions of the same text and then learning from that how to translate a given word or phrase. Since technical vocabulary and terminology is far more likely to have a single correct translation that is used in nearly all cases, Google is going to do far better with those than with colloquial expressions that you can translate in a multitude of ways.

It does sound like an interesting idea... I should test it.