Marollian and Online Satellite TV Radio

Recommendations and opinions of books, dictionaries, programs, movies, shows, comedy, video players (region issues), music, websites, courses, where to buy Dutch stuff if you don't live there, etc.
Mustafa Umut Sarac
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Turkey
Mother tongue: Turkish
Second language: English (Great Britain)

Marollian and Online Satellite TV Radio

Post by Mustafa Umut Sarac » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 am

Hi, I am an Tintin fan and I want to learn Marollian because he had been created an language called Syldavian, heavily Marollian influenced. I read somewhere Flemish TV advocates this language. I think there must be lot of Flemish TV stations and I want to learn who broadcast tv, radio programmes in Marollian online and at satellite.

Thanks ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul

Quetzal
Retired moderator
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Re: Marollian and Online Satellite TV Radio

Post by Quetzal » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:57 am

Mustafa Umut Sarac wrote:Hi, I am an Tintin fan and I want to learn Marollian because he had been created an language called Syldavian, heavily Marollian influenced. I read somewhere Flemish TV advocates this language. I think there must be lot of Flemish TV stations and I want to learn who broadcast tv, radio programmes in Marollian online and at satellite.

Thanks ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul
Hi Mustafa,

this has to be one of the most original posts I've seen on this forum!

Unfortunately, I will have to disappoint you. Syldavian as it appears in one or two of the comics is indeed based on a Brussels-Flemish dialect (which I suppose you could call "Marollian", since the neighbourhood "Marollen" used to have a lot of speakers of that dialect), but it's a dialect, which means you won't find many TV or radio broadcasters. There is the Flemish-language local TV channel for Brussels, but the large majority of their broadcasts will be in more or less standard Flemish (which, as you may know, is in turn a variant of Dutch). By using the search function and entering "dialect" I did come across a handful of links and videos, but nothing like the kind of resources that would allow you to learn "Marollian".

The good news is that if you know standard Flemish and are somewhat familiar with how the Brussels dialect sounds, you can understand most of what the Syldavians say, I suppose...

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Turkey
Mother tongue: Turkish
Second language: English (Great Britain)

Re: Marollian and Online Satellite TV Radio

Post by Mustafa Umut Sarac » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Hello Quetzal and all members,

Yes, I am aware about Flemish but when searched the internet for Flemish Software Courses and books ,
I always found Dutch lessons. One site was offering a Flemish course but it was expensive and content was weak.

Can I learn Flemish at dutchgrammar.com ? I dont have single dutch or flemish in my vocabulary but Flemish seem to me more refined but I need your comment on this also.

Can you tell me also Why Flemish but not Dutch speaker understands Syldavian or Marollian ? I learned that Flemish is a Dutch dialect but is it so far ?

I bought one Marollian - French dictionary with 6000 words inside and contacted with Brussels Akademie to buy their Brussels Grammar book in English.

I looked to the tv link and I could not locate online tv but short clips from news. Is there a Flemish tv online with soap operas for 24 hours or is there a Flemish tv at Hotbird ?

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac