Watch, discuss and ask questions about Flemish/Dutch movies!

Recommendations and opinions of books, dictionaries, programs, movies, shows, comedy, video players (region issues), music, websites, courses, where to buy Dutch stuff if you don't live there, etc.
evilbu
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Watch, discuss and ask questions about Flemish/Dutch movies!

Post by evilbu » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Come on! Let's do it! :D

Movies are so nice. Would you like to recommend a Flemish or Dutch movie, or did you like one or do you have questions : write here!

I would start with recommending "De zaak Alzheimer"

Tom
Retired moderator
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by Tom » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:44 pm

Great movie!

I plan to buy and read the book by Jef Geeraerts.

Another great film is "Iedereen Beroemd" - "Everybody's Famous", also starring Werner De Smedt in his younger days. It can also be purchased on line in the american ntsc format region 1.

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/b ... L2TAJ4AQ33

You can find De Zaak Alzheimer and "Alias" (another good movie) here. I have purchased DVD from the above site (movies unlimited) and had no problem with them.

Last edited by Tom on Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groetjes
Tom

evilbu
Superlid

Post by evilbu » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:59 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139606/
Shaded (1999) also by Erik Van Looy.

Very interesting movie, it's a Flemish film, but it's spoken in English and Dutch.
There are actors like Koen De Bouw en Jan Decleir in it, but Mickey Rourke as well!

Shea
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Italy
Mother tongue: Italian

Post by Shea » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:06 am

Dag,

I'd like to recommend this movie 'Leef !'
http://www.movie2movie.nl/index.php?item=190&film=4268

Shea

lieve
Lid

Post by lieve » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Vorig jaar zag ik "Dennis van Rita" in de cinema en vond het persoonlijk goed.
Het gaat over Dennis (gespeeld door Matthias Schoenaerts) de zoon van Rita en is een beetje mentaal gehandicapt. De film begint wanneer Dennis wordt vrijgelaten uit het gevangenis, hij had namelijk iemand verkracht (maar omdat hij een mentale achterstand heeft begreep hij niet wat hij verkeerd deed).
Hij wordt echter niet zo vriendelijk opgevangen door de medebewoners van het appartementsblok waar zijn moeder woont.
Meer ga ik niet verklappen, je moet hem zien :)

Last year i saw "Dennis van Rita" in the cinema, i personally liked it.
It's about Dennis (played by Matthias Schoenaerts) the son of Rita who is a bit mentally handicapted. The movie begins when Dennis gets released out of prison, he apperantly raped someone (alltho since the guy is mentally handicapted he didnt understood what he did wrong).
He doesnt get well received by the neighbours of the appartment where his mother lives.
Not gonna tell more of the story, you have to see it :)

kraaivrouw
Nieuwkomer

De Nederlandse filmen

Post by kraaivrouw » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Hallo allemaal,

Ik heb heele Nederlands filmen  van "Net Flix" geleent.  (Ik woon in de VS.)  Mein gunstellingen zein Antonia, De Tweeling, en Pauline & Paulette.  De anders zein Iedereen Beroemd!, Zus & Zo, en Soldat van Orange.  Le mur is van België, en ze
Francese en Nederlands spreken.  Je kan naar imdb.com voor de beschrijvingen gaan.

Kan iemands mein Nederlands graag verbeteren?  Groetjes, kraai vrouw

Hello everybody,
I have rented many Dutch films from "Net Flix".  (I live in the US.)  My favorites are Antonia's Line, The Twin Sisters, and Pauline & Paulette.  The others are Zus & Zo,  and Soldier of Orange.  The Wall is from Belgium, and they speak French and Dutch.  You can go to imdb.com for the details.  Can anyone correct my Dutch?  Regards, crow lady (or wife of an undertaker!)
Klaar is Kees

evilbu
Superlid

Re: De Nederlandse filmen

Post by evilbu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:56 pm

kraaivrouw wrote:Hallo allemaal,

Ik heb heeleveel Nederlandse filmens  van "Net Flix" geleentgeleend .  (Ik woon in de VS.)  Mein gunstellingen zein Mijn favorieten zijn Antonia, De Tweeling, en Pauline & Paulette.  De anders zein andere zijn Iedereen Beroemd!, Zus & Zo, en Soldaat van OrangeOranje .  Le mur is van België, en ze
Francese en Nederlands spreken spreken Frans en Nederlands.  Je kan naar imdb.com voor de beschrijvingen gaan.

Kan iemands mein iemand mijn Nederlands graag verbeteren?  Groetjes, kraai vrouw
Hello, to be honest with you I haven't seen any of those films yet. :P  But I will try to do something about that.
I am interested in that "Le mur" film, about the linguistic conflict in Belgium. :eek:

kraaivrouw
Nieuwkomer

De Nederlandse filmen

Post by kraaivrouw » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:43 am

Dank je, evilbu.  Ik leer Nederlands van CD's, en ik speel niet goot.  Ook mijn zoon leert Duits, en hij spreekt aan mij "auf Deutsch".  

I forgot to mention Karacter.  It's worth seeing just for the setting (19th century Rotterdam), but the film moves slowly.

If you go to netflix.com and search for Cool! (scroll down a bit to find it) and then go to the Cool! site and again scroll down, on the left side you will find "custom lists".  The lists named  Films in Dutch, Dutch films, and Hollands Gloire each list Dutch films (with a lot of overlap).  This is helpful since Netflix lists foreign films by language, but they don't include Dutch!  Not fair.  All these films are available on DVD, with English sub-titles.  I live in the North American region, but I assume they all have been released in Europe also.

Groetjes, kraai vrouw
Klaar is Kees

Arnaud
Waardevol lid
Mother tongue: French

Post by Arnaud » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:36 am

Hello,

I'd like to recommend:

- 'Anyway the Wind Blows', by Tom Barman (dEUS's leader, for those who wouldn't know), for the sake of dialogues;

- 'De Indringer', starring Koen De Bouw;

... as well as (too) many movies starring Jan Decleir, probably the best-known (and best 'tout court') Flemish actor.

- I also think about 'Ad Fundum' ('Bottoms Up') by Erik Van Looy, as it seems.
imdb wrote:College initiation rites on one Belgian campus end in tragic death of one freshman. His friends are determined to see the justice done
Tot later.

Arnaud

kwalijkje
Superlid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Second language: Dutch
Third language: Slovak
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: British Sign Language (of Britse Gebarentaal)

Re: Watch, discuss and ask questions about Flemish/Dutch movies!

Post by kwalijkje » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:10 pm

I'd recommend a film called Abel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090579/). It's quite difficult to get hold of, but well worth the effort. I don't think there are any versions that come with English subtitles, but, for me anyway, half the fun was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. It's a film about a mad family, and it's got a very young Alex van Warmerdam, the guy from Ober (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476681/); which is, incidentally, also a very funny film.

One film to avoid, Afblijven (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826027/) . Possibly the dullest film ever; it starts off as if it will be interesting and heads steadily downhill from there on until it hits rock bottom in a ridiculous ending.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Lui(steren) en(is) moe(ilijk)

Dutch_Person
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)

Post by Dutch_Person » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:51 pm

I would like to recommend "Vet Hard" (2005) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382365/. In this comedy you can see (and hear) both Dutch and Flemish actors.

evilbu
Superlid

Post by evilbu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 pm

Dutch_Person wrote:I would like to recommend "Vet Hard" (2005) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382365/. In this comedy you can see (and hear) both Dutch and Flemish actors.
The interesting thing is that that Flemish actor Kurt Rogiers, who was also playing in that film, has been living in the Netherlands for quite some time now, so his accent has shifted. :-D

kwalijkje
Superlid
Country of residence: United Kingdom
Second language: Dutch
Third language: Slovak
Fourth language: French
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: British Sign Language (of Britse Gebarentaal)

Post by kwalijkje » Sun May 25, 2008 7:19 pm

kwalijkje wrote:One film to avoid, Afblijven (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826027/) . Possibly the dullest film ever; it starts off as if it will be interesting and heads steadily downhill from there on until it hits rock bottom in a ridiculous ending.
Ha ha... I haven't changed my mind about this film; but my housemate just (just... about a month ago) introduced me to Brainpower, who is, from what I've seen and heard, a geeky rapper. Rap's not my cup of tea, but I do find Brainpower entertaining. I don't think he takes himself and his image too seriously. It took me a while to realise where I'd seen his face before, and then realised that it's the filming of one of his music videos that is the catalyst for the (sub-)plot of this film, Afblijven.
Is Brainpower a big thing in the Netherlands? Because if he is he's something that's washed over me whenever I've been there.

Ha ha... Ik heb mijn overtuiging over dit film niet veranderd; maar mijn huisvriend (?) heeft net aan me Brainpower gewijst. Rap beval me niet, maar ik vind Brainpower wel vermakelijk. Ik denk hij bedient zich niet zo serieus. Wat tijd later ik herinnerd dat zijn gezicht heb ik al gezien, in Afblijven.
Is Brainpower een grote ding in Nederland? Want, als hij is, dan ie is iets dat is voorbij me heen gereden wanneer ik heb in Nederland geweest.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Lui(steren) en(is) moe(ilijk)