Ondertitels - Undertitles - Subtitles

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
Tom
Retired moderator
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)

Ondertitels - Undertitles - Subtitles

Post by Tom » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:50 pm

If you are looking for subtitles in Dutch for movies, here are two resources.

http://www.ondertitel.com

http://www.nlondertitels.com

They are generally ".srt" files. These can be incorporated into movies that you have converted to mpg or avi (and maybe other) formats. They can be syncronized using a neat program called "Time Adjuster" as well.

This is starting to get very technical so I will stop talking about that, but if you are very computer savvy, that might prove interesting to you. :shock:

In essence, these are text files, so if you want, you can print them out and follow along while watching the movie on your TV or computer. Also, if you can get your hands on the English version of the subtitles, you can compare the two side by side.

In effect, by doing this you have the script and its translation right in front of you! :wink:

I would be interested to see if anyone actually tries this and finds it to be of use.

Tom
Last edited by Tom on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julien
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Belgium

Post by julien » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:19 am

mooie site

LiefNederland
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Italy
Mother tongue: Italian

Post by LiefNederland » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:04 pm

ja inderdaad, echt interessant en nuttig!
LiefNederland
I love the Netherlands!

elliottp
Lid
Mother tongue: English

Post by elliottp » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:36 pm

The biggest problem I have with subtitled movies is that the subtitles are never the same as the actual dialog. Of course, watching the films and trying to type out the dialog is fabulous listening and spelling practice! :D
--Elliott--

evilbu
Superlid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by evilbu » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:09 pm

Good topic Tom, subtitles are fun, dubbing are not!

One thing I have to warn you about : many (young) people who make subtitles don't know the dt rules very well and write stuff like

"Ik wil nooid zeggun wat er gebeurt is." :x

So be careful. :?

Janeera
Waardevol lid

Post by Janeera » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 pm

I don't have the computer skills to merge movies/shows and ondertitels, but I was able to convert the ondertitels to a text file and then show them a few lines at a time on my computer screen directly under the movie window.  That way they looked *almost* like proper ondertitels.  :)

Natuurlijk it is necessary to manually scroll through the list when one does it this way -- but it was fun to either read ahead on the ondertitels to figure out the next line of dialog; or to listen to the movie, translate the gesprek to nederlands, and then check to see if it was correct.

Thanks muchly for the tip about these ondertitel services.  I would have never known otherwise!!  There are so many really cool ways one can practice a new language these days......
Alleen mensen die niets doen maken geen fouten.             Ome Jorge

evilbu
Superlid
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)

Post by evilbu » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:50 pm

http://www.nlondertitels.com/ is another good site
Janeera wrote:I don't have the computer skills to merge movies/shows and ondertitels, but I was able to convert the ondertitels to a text file and then show them a few lines at a time on my computer screen directly under the movie window.  That way they looked *almost* like proper ondertitels.  :)

Natuurlijk it is necessary to manually scroll through the list when one does it this way -- but it was fun to either read ahead on the ondertitels to figure out the next line of dialog; or to listen to the movie, translate the gesprek to nederlands, and then check to see if it was correct.
Well I use BSPlayer.  Then it's easy, just take the .srt file and drag it to the BSplayer, and then drop it.
Thanks muchly for the tip about these ondertitel services.  I would have never known otherwise!!  There are so many really cool ways one can practice a new language these days......
Yes, can you imagine learning a language a hundred years ago without all this?  :?

Arnaud
Waardevol lid
Mother tongue: French

Re: Ondertitels - Undertitles - Subtitles

Post by Arnaud » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:29 pm

elliottp wrote:The biggest problem I have with subtitled movies is that the subtitles are never the same as the actual dialog.
Well, many people have the same "problem", and too many people mention it as if the subtitler really sucked. But imagine that the subtitles actually were "the same as the actual dialog". Would you be able to fully read every single subtitle ? If so, you would probably still have a much bigger problem and would like to quit watching the film.
One of the main reasons why subtitles are "never the same as the actual dialog" is that read rate is inferior to speech rate, and subsequently that the subtitles must almost always be reduced. Maybe you were aware of that, but I just want as many viewers as possible to know that.
Janeera wrote:I was able to convert the ondertitels to a text file and then show them a few lines at a time on my computer screen directly under the movie window. That way they looked *almost* like proper ondertitels. :)

Natuurlijk it is necessary to manually scroll through the list when one does it this way
You might want to try to import a .srt file into Subtitle Workshop (freeware to be downloaded at : http://www.urusoft.net/download.php?lang=1&id=sw) or Visualsubsync (freeware to be downloaded at : http://www.free-codecs.com/download/VisualSubSync.htm. Tutorial : http://perso.orange.fr/sweetkaraoke/Tut ... l2_1a.html). Actually I don't know the second one, but why not try it. I don't know BSPlayer either, but I will try it.

Thanks for the information.

Arnaud

P.S.: Sorry, the tutorial I mentioned for Virtualsubsync seems to be in French, as the URL points out. But there may be one in English, or Dutch, or some other languages.

victoriaw
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Slovenian
Second language: Spanish
Third language: English
Fourth language: French

Post by victoriaw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm

You can always use VLC to adjust the subtitle timing.

[edit by Joke] Removed irrelevant link [/edit]

Guillo
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Spanish
Second language: English
Third language: Italian

Post by Guillo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 pm

I second the VLC recommendation. I've used it a lot to edit English to Spanish Translation subtitles or even to make them from scratch, even for pro work. While it's not the most powerful or features-riddled software, it's REALLY hard to beat for ease of use.