How to learn Dutch fast?

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
nephronim
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

How to learn Dutch fast?

Post by nephronim » Wed May 20, 2009 1:15 pm

I have been working in amsterdam for a few months now and i am originally from Ireland.
I need to learn Dutch as fast as possible for work and needed some kind of course that starts as soon as possible.
I'm not earning a huge amount from work so i need something reasonably priced.
Can anyone suggest something, i really need to start this asap!

Thanks
Paul

bokassa
Waardevol lid

Re: How to learn Dutch Fast?

Post by bokassa » Wed May 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi, what's the craic. I lived in the Netherlands between 2000-2001. When I first moved I knew nothing of Dutch. Back to the uk, I had studied about 6 months on my own at the public library, but in NL I couldn't practice with anybody because my work colleagues were either foreigners and not interested in learning Dutch or Dutch and not interested in speaking Dutch with me.

I suggest that you buy or borrow a decent grammar book (there are tons at the Centrale Bibliotheek) and study on your own and then practice with Dutch people of ethnic minorities (Turks, Surinaamse, Somali) and in general with people who speak Dutch but are not very good in English. I learned a lot when I worked in a factory in the south and my colleagues were refugees from the Middle East. So, in other words, avoid the cultured people, they probably are of no use.

If you have a tv watch the news and activate the subtitles, so you can associate the words with the sounds (...noises).

Grytolle
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Swedish
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: German

Post by Grytolle » Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Pretend like you don't know English :D
:-)

darwin
Waardevol lid
Country of residence: Romania
Mother tongue: Romanian
Third language: Italian
Fourth language: Dutch

Post by darwin » Thu May 21, 2009 7:46 am

i think for an english speaaking person it's very difficult to practice dutch, as at the first stumble in dutch in you will start speaking english and the dutch will always pick up on that and continue in english.
get yourself a decent dutch grammar, listen to dutch radio as much as you can and try to forget a little bit of your english when you are in public. dutch will come in naturally after a while.

bokassa
Waardevol lid

Post by bokassa » Thu May 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Grytolle wrote:Pretend like you don't know English :D
One could try to speak Geordie, surely who would want to keep up with that?

nephronim
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: English (Great Britain)

Post by nephronim » Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks people,
i watch dutch tv and radio but i need to get my dutch up to conversational standard asap, to get more involved with clients in work.
So i need to find something intensive to start into, i am learning pimsleur dutch lessons, which i listen to but these are not as good as speaking the language with other dutch.
Thanks for the suggestions tho,
Cheers,
paul

Ratinthekitchen
Lid
Mother tongue: Thai
Third language: Laothian
Fourth language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Post by Ratinthekitchen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 am

:(
Here is having a same prob but you are luckier that you have a job to do.
=D>
"U may not end up where you thought you'd be. But you'll end up right where you meant to be."

Vicky
Superlid
Mother tongue: Kyrgyz
Second language: Russian
Third language: Dutch (Netherlands)
Fourth language: English (Great Britain)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: een beetje Slowaaks

Post by Vicky » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:11 pm

I think that living in a smaller town, village gives you more chance to learn the language quicker than in a big multinational city as Amsterdam. In a place where I live nobody tries to speak English to me. Maybe you should ask your collegues to be a little more patient and speak DUtch to you? Only by speaking a lot and often you can get some results. Actually now my English is reducing since I speak only Dutch here.

Cheers

kayazuki
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Serbia
Mother tongue: Dutch (other)
Third language: Serbian
Fourth language: German

Post by kayazuki » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:06 pm

My girlfriend is listening to the Pimsleur Learning Dutch package to make a start with learning dutch, which is relatively pretty easy..

It's English based, and you simply have to listen to it in your car, on your MP3 player and repeat when you're told to repeat.
It's a rather smart construction and if i heard correctly, even the CIA uses this program to speed-learn the initial essences of foreign languages.
I'm Dutch myself and I've heard all 10 lessons already while we were driving and i must say, it's rather easy to do. My girl thinks the same and she can babble and follow some basic things already :)

I'm sure you'll find something useful if you search the web typing "download pimsleur dutch".

Other optimal method is indeed feeding your brain with a constant feed of the language. Just listen/hear it.
Our brains first need to hear a language abundantly before it can soak up the logic of it. If you first get really familiar with the sounds then the second step will be easier: learning words, as well as and the third; learning to construct sentences.

Here you can listen to any radio station in The Netherlands (or any other country): http://delicast.com/radio/Netherlands/
Pick some station where they mostly talk and just do your work, wash the dishes, take toilet breaks while just having this in the background.
That way the language will start to "live" in your mind the fastest.

This is how i learned Serbian ;) Listening to the people, radio, TV, etc..

Goodluck!

LunaBibliofila
Nieuwkomer

Post by LunaBibliofila » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Paul,

You can also go to http://www.taalklas.nl and you can learn words and basic phrases there. It's free and you simply have to register so the website can give you a password. I personally write down everything with the translation so I can memorize and practice it later.

There's also the IJsbreker books, mine are secondhand and I got them on bol.com a bit cheaper (the first set can cost you around 90 euros). These are really textbooks to be used in a classroom, but they contain a lot of expressions that dutch really use. The down side is that you need a dutch native to help you with some of them.

Good Luck!
LunaBibliofila

AppelstroopIsLekker
Superlid
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: English (United States)
Second language: Dutch (Flanders)
Third language: French
Fourth language: Italian

Post by AppelstroopIsLekker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Grytolle wrote:Pretend like you don't know English :D

In the Netherlands, especially in Amsterdam, this is really the only way to dig in and do it.

And to dig in and do it is to speak Dutch.

So just pretend you don't speak English.

susanspy
Nieuwkomer

Re: How to learn Dutch fast?

Post by susanspy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:43 pm

hello all,

i am susan here, i am new to this post, i too have the same problem how to learn dutch fast? so please anyone let me know about this.

thanks alot

keep posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrn
Superlid
Mother tongue: Xhosa
Second language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Post by wrn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Hello susanspy,

You have to start speak and you should try all the time.

You learn at the beginning from http://www.taalklas.nl.

Try to establish any conversations with any possible person.

Do not stop.

Write words down and learn the importance at home.

This is my technique.

Good luck!

Tomek
Lachen is gezond!

MikeOosting
Nieuwkomer
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English (Canada)

Post by MikeOosting » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:16 pm

I bought the lonely planet phrasebook and started saying the phrases in it outloud to help perfect my pronounciation, also this gives you some basic phrases and a basic understanding of the grammar.

Fria

Post by Fria » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Hm, ^^^not a useful tip for me^^, as far as pronounciation goes (and Dutch one is really hard :-o ) ... I'm Slovenian and I've always sucked at *Eng. phonetics* :mad: ... so Lonely Planet phrasebooks are in English and write words down so that an English person would read them easily, but it can complicate things for me, b/c I have to learn two things instead of one, also the Eng. phonetics' symbols :P . I need a Dutch person to read/say out loud the phrases and then I transcribe the pronounciation down as I hear it (embarrassing fact, but started out with the word lul, lol! :o :D ).

I'm not an audio person, so audio CDs are not for me, I'm very visual, I profit much more by reading words, memorising how they're written and hear how they're pronounced in the same time (woot 4 talking dictionaries!) =D>
This for words ... as for complete phrases and politeness forms etc., I think it's be best way of learning to see English and German translation next to Dutch phrase. Usually it's so similar that it's much easier to remember. And if it's not similar, it's totally different from both English and German ... at least the basic phrases are so, so far.

My fav way of learning, though not very fast, is play-learning by dlding Dutch lyrics to funny Dutch songs, like Gebroeders Ko, and trying to dechipher them 8) --> looking up the words in lyrics I don't understand - but also such words I understand but have never heard before in Dutch. And looking up the words means also looking up their article and plural form, so that I feel more comfortable using the new words on more occasions (that's why I was so hard to please when asking for all those details in other threads, sry, lol).