How to learn Dutch fast?

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
Mevrouw.Milano
Lid
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English

Re: How to learn Dutch fast?

Post by Mevrouw.Milano » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:23 pm

I don't think there is a "fast" way to learn Dutch. It can be a complicated language, especially for a native English speaker such as myself. It is difficult for me to undue 30+ years of speaking English and constructing sentences in the manner in which we do and that is exactly what you have to do to speak dutch. You have to unlearn everything you spent your life learning. Generally what I do is think of what the incorrect order of words would be in English and then they are usually correct in Dutch LOL. I don't find the pronunciation too difficult except when I catch myself making that g sound for the h words. For example when i mean to say heel i end up saying geel . This usually only happens if the word before the h word had the g sound in it.

I find that my dutch is improving the more I use it and by listening to things in dutch and reading the dutch subtitles on tv.

Vicky
Superlid
Mother tongue: Kyrgyz
Second language: Russian
Third language: Dutch (Netherlands)
Fourth language: English (Great Britain)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: een beetje Slowaaks

Post by Vicky » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Mevrouw.Milano wrote: For example when i mean to say heel i end up saying geel .
I also have the same problem.

Ik heb dezelfde probleem.

Bert
Superlid
Mother tongue: Hungarian

Post by Bert » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Vicky wrote:Ik heb dezelfde probleem.
Ik heb hetzelfde probleem. (Het probleem -> hetzelfde probleem.)

By the way, I agree with Ms Milano: there is no "fast" way to learn Dutch. "Langzaam maar zeker" is the best way. :)

justanotherdutchy
Nieuwkomer
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: Japanese
Fourth language: German
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Turkish an Korean but I'm only a beginner and my Japanese and German are only intermediate.

Post by justanotherdutchy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:45 am

Hallo allemaal. (hello everyone)

I'm not writing here actually because I want to learn Dutch (already a native) but I would like to get your opinion on what you think are good resources.
Since I'm considering online tutoring so here are a few resources I personally think might be helpful:
First of all is www.memrise.com which is a free SRS based flashcard system available in multiple languages. (useful if you have trouble with English)
Second would be www.dutchpod101.com that provides courses for different levels of fluency for a pretty reasonable price
Third is hello talk which is a app that let's you search for people around the world that would like to learn your language and in return can help you with your own language (including Dutch) and lastly
www.italki.com is a language community that has professional teacher and a nice array of tutors to help you (using Skype or something similar) with your language study plus you can look for languages partners or have your essays corrected.

I hope this was helpful, of course if you want to actually speak with them in Dutch tell them that it's to practice otherwise they will most likely switch to English for a faster and better progression of the conversation. But if you tell them that it's to learn Dutch most of us will take the time to help you.
If you would like to get some help you can always send me a messages on my italki account (because I'm not sure how often I'll check this site or my E-mail. Just signed up 5 five minutes ago.) my italki ID is http://www.italki.com/user/2433653 if your having talk with me and I'll try to help you out regardless of how bad your English or Dutch might be.

Vicky and Bert,
The word het is used as the definite article this means if there is something that your talking about something definite or particular we use het.
for example: Ik heb hetzelfde probleem. here you are talking about a particular problem. The problem being the same as the one being mentioned earlier. However if you were to say: Ik heb een probleem. Than the problem your talking about is unknown and we use the undefined article een.
de en het show something about the gender of the noun, but een is gender less. For example: De man zit aan het bureau. If we say this we know who sits on which desk, but we can also say: Een man zit aan een bureau. This means that it could be any man that sits on any desk.
To know if a noun is male or female I'm afraid you're going to have to learn them individually but there are some cases in which it's known.
If it's plural it's usually male: Het probleem, De problemen.
If it's the diminutive it's mostly female het meisje, de deur, het deurtje, het treintje, het rijmpje.

There may be some more points that can be covered or rules that make things easier. I haven't really that long ago decided to dive into my own language so I too have to figure some of the grammar rules out for myself instead of just applying them sub-consciously.

I hope I'll be hearing soon from any or some or all of you,
Sorry for the long read but well it was done with the best intentions.

Kind regards, Wout and keep it up [-o< [-o< =D> :-D :D :D

Vicky
Superlid
Mother tongue: Kyrgyz
Second language: Russian
Third language: Dutch (Netherlands)
Fourth language: English (Great Britain)
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: een beetje Slowaaks

Post by Vicky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Bedankt voor het uitleg. Het is lang geleden dat ik voor het laatste keer hier geweest ben. Ik zag dat ik het in 2012 geschreven.

Veel succes iedereen met het leren van het Nederlands.

Groetjes,

Vicky