Best way to learn?

Ideas for learning Dutch. What have you tried? What worked for you? What did not work for you?
Post Reply
endrien
Nieuwkomer
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 2:20 am
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English

Best way to learn?

Post by endrien » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:38 am

What is the best way to start learning dutch? I find trying to get through the grammar course here a little difficult as I have mild ADD so trying to read something relatively boring can be hard. How should I go about learning?

User avatar
Quetzal
Retired moderator
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:51 pm
Country of residence: Belgium
Mother tongue: Dutch (Flanders)
Location: Belgium

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Quetzal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 am

I really don't think there's a best way that works for everybody... for some people reading all the boring grammar does work, for you it doesn't. You should probably try a more active approach, then, trying to speak and write based on what you do know already, and occasionally reading a few of the grammar pages to understand what you did wrong. Or reading in Dutch, watching videos or listening to music in Dutch, and trying to learn more that way... there are many ways of learning a language, and it depends on the person which one is best.

endrien
Nieuwkomer
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 2:20 am
Country of residence: Canada
Mother tongue: English

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by endrien » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:53 am

Quetzal wrote:I really don't think there's a best way that works for everybody... for some people reading all the boring grammar does work, for you it doesn't. You should probably try a more active approach, then, trying to speak and write based on what you do know already, and occasionally reading a few of the grammar pages to understand what you did wrong. Or reading in Dutch, watching videos or listening to music in Dutch, and trying to learn more that way... there are many ways of learning a language, and it depends on the person which one is best.

Well I've been managing to make it through the grammar course so far, reading about 5 pages a day. I don't seem to remember much of what I read(though I do understand some things like pronunciations, syllable separation, things like ik, je, we, etc.) my memory works in odd ways and when the need arises to use the things I have read it will usually come back to me. I have been listening to nederhop and watching movie with dutch subs so hopefully I will start to progress more soon enough :)

beta32
Nieuwkomer
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:58 pm
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)
Second language: English
Third language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by beta32 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:12 pm

the best way to learn dutch is to study the very basic. Just like what I did in learning spanish. try livemocha.com, they can help you.
"hola, cumo este usted?"
"hola, estoy bien,"
just like that...

Lisa
Waardevol lid
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 11:40 am
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Gender: Female
Location: Sunny Florida :-)

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Lisa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 am

In Essential Dutch Grammar the author recommends reading a grammar book after finishing a Dutch conversation program.
I'm not exposed to any Dutch IRL. This is what I'm using:
http://www.radio1.nl/ to hear dutch spoken
http://www.taalklas.nl/ vocabulary words
http://www.heardutchhere.net/ This is like a phrase book online
http://www.amazon.com/201-Dutch-Verbs-C ... 336&sr=8-1 201 Dutch Verbs

You definately want to go over the grammar section on how to divide a word into syllables.

I found some mp3 downloads of a Dutch Bible being read too. I print out a few Bible pages when I go to the library. I usually know some context already. I feel like I can concentrate better on the pronunciation and spelling instead of also wondering what does this mean too.

Lisa
Waardevol lid
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 11:40 am
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Gender: Female
Location: Sunny Florida :-)

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Lisa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:57 am

endrien wrote:
Quetzal wrote:I really don't think there's a best way that works for everybody... for some people reading all the boring grammar does work, for you it doesn't. You should probably try a more active approach, then, trying to speak and write based on what you do know already, and occasionally reading a few of the grammar pages to understand what you did wrong. Or reading in Dutch, watching videos or listening to music in Dutch, and trying to learn more that way... there are many ways of learning a language, and it depends on the person which one is best.

Well I've been managing to make it through the grammar course so far, reading about 5 pages a day. I don't seem to remember much of what I read(though I do understand some things like pronunciations, syllable separation, things like ik, je, we, etc.) my memory works in odd ways and when the need arises to use the things I have read it will usually come back to me. I have been listening to nederhop and watching movie with dutch subs so hopefully I will start to progress more soon enough :)
It's very abstract until you see it applied in setences.
For the beginning of taalklas I found the how to divide a word into syllable part most useful:
http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=Spell ... ciation.05

Conjugating the verbs in taalklas helped me learn the verb stem spelling rules.

Pier
Nieuwkomer
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:51 pm
Mother tongue: Italian
Second language: English (United States)
Third language: Spanish
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Pier » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 pm

endrien wrote:What is the best way to start learning dutch? I find trying to get through the grammar course here a little difficult as I have mild ADD so trying to read something relatively boring can be hard. How should I go about learning?
Hi, In my opinion the best way is read a little bit of a grammar book (i found an interesting one published by Hoelphi editors, it should be available in english too.) and see video with english subtitles, i found some nice video there http://www.2bdutch.nl/ i wish it could be helpfull for you,
Good Luck,

Mevrouw.Milano
Lid
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 pm
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: English
Gender: Female

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Mevrouw.Milano » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Ik vind dat Nederlandse taal is maakelijker te leren als je de subtitles op tv kijken en met veel praten met Nederlanders.

In case I said that wrong. I find that learning dutch is easier to learn when you watch the subtitles on tv and with speaking dutch with dutch people. Most Dutch people are fairly patient when you try to speak their language (although I am usually butchering it) there are some though that can't be bothered with it and will switch to english or walk away. Shrug it off though at least your trying. That's more then most can say.


I am currently in school learning dutch and we use the Delftse Methode and I think that is a complete waste of time. I do not recommend it at all.

fabriciocarraro
Waardevol lid
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:11 pm
Country of residence: Brazil
Mother tongue: Portuguese (Brazil)
Second language: English (United States)
Third language: Italian
Fourth language: Spanish
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Russian
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by fabriciocarraro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Try Michel Thomas Dutch courses. In my experience (and I tried A LOT of materials), it's the best for beginners!

Floor Afauna
Nieuwkomer
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:12 am
Country of residence: Netherlands
Mother tongue: Dutch (Netherlands)

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Floor Afauna » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm

My "pupil" , a native Portuguese, encountered the same.

A good start might be http://www.taalthuis.com/index.php?opti ... e&Itemid=1

Ten beginner lessons in a good mix of oral drills ( Delfste methode) and grammar (Old school).

Taalklas offers oral drills with visual information and video's for getting used to spoken Dutch.

A helpful tool to train vocubalary is WRTS or WRDS http://www.wrds.eu I prefer the beta-version because of the extended rehearsel options. You can hear the word in Dutch (OK a robot voice....) while repeating your lists. You can find many lists in WRTS format on the internet but beware of translation / context errors!

When you master the Taalthuis program, try the Wikibooks course. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Dutch

Excuse my English, it is not my native tongue

Czar
Lid
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 am
Country of residence: Dominican Republic
Mother tongue: Spanish
Second language: English
Third language: Portuguese (Brazil)
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Czar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 pm

fabriciocarraro wrote:Try Michel Thomas Dutch courses. In my experience (and I tried A LOT of materials), it's the best for beginners!
It is true, it is a very good way to get a basic introduction to the language and pronountiation. Excellent for a beginner.

User avatar
leke
Lid
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:26 pm
Country of residence: Finland
Mother tongue: English
Second language: Finnish
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by leke » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:53 pm

This dame can keep my attention: https://www.youtube.com/user/dutchforn0 ... ture=watch
And this online app can also keep my attention: http://www.memrise.com/course/74258/beg ... ith-audio/

Veel succes!

tetsuo
Lid
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 pm
Country of residence: Germany
Mother tongue: German
Second language: English
Third language: Dutch
Fourth language: Spanish
Fifth, sixth, seventh, ..., languages: Currently learning Dutch & Spanish basic, which is enough for the moment but more languages are planned to be learned. ;-)
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by tetsuo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 pm

I can't fully recommend Michel Thomas courses, they are good but not that good. It also depends what kind of learning you prefer. I like the "Get Started" courses (see teachyourself.com for more info). This is learning from English to Dutch, the German publisher Cornelsen have the (nearly or completely) the same courses from German to Dutch.

saragomsa
Nieuwkomer
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm
Mother tongue: English
Gender: Female

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by saragomsa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Well I am learning it by a home tutor. He explains and teaches really well

Jodi
Lid
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:13 pm
Country of residence: United States
Mother tongue: English
Second language: French
Third language: English
Fourth language: English
Gender: Female

Re: Best way to learn?

Post by Jodi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

My sister used zkanji Japanese Language Study Suite to learn Japanese and found it really helpful. I am looking for a similar piece of software for Dutch. Did anyone happen to bump into specific software for studying Dutch? Please?

Post Reply